Horseback CCW

RsqVet

Hello all --

Question I can't seem to find much direction on --- Ideas on CCW while mounted? I specifically want to carry concealed for several reasons though open carry here in AZ is legal.

The guns to chose from in no particular order are -- Glock 26, Ruger Sp101, Sig 232, Sig 229

Though I have never used SOB holsters before my first thought is that one of the smaller guns in the SOB positoin would work the best. This will only be trail riding, however the thought of a larger gun or strong side carry in a tight concellment holster has me thinking of rubbing and discomfort...

Ideally should be able to stay concealed while mounting dismounting etc, maybe have a thumb break as well for security... anyone make a sob with a thumb break?

Pocket holster for my jeans?

Pack of some sort?

I'm thinking that the ruger or glock would be the best for all the dust and such that is will be exposed to?

Any thoughts???

rmagill

I am by no means an expert, but here is my .02 worth. For starters, I would not go with a SOB. First, it is a concern if someone just walking falls on their back because they could injure their spine. Now, the injuring effects of the fall would only be made worse if you were to fall off of the horse. However, if that is the best option for you, so be it.

If you are concerned about rubbing the rubbing issue with an IWB, you have a few options. First, if it is a good holster, it should not move around all that much. Also, you could purchase an IWB with a guard that goes between you and the gun. If nothing else, this would aid in the comfort.

However, if you find that IWB just will not work, perhaps an OWB holster would be a better option. Personally, if you decide that a thumb break is needed, I have seen more OWB holsters with thumb breaks than IWBs with thumb breaks.

Finally, if it is a good enough holster, you will not need a thumb break for the pistol. I have already fully sprinted with my IWB holster and the gun did not even come close to falling out. However, if retention will still be an issue, though, BlackHawk makes a good holster with SERPA retention (http://www.packrat-toyz.com/Tactical%20Gear/Blackhawk/blackhawk_holsters.htm). While it does not have a thumb break, it may be something you could use. What is nice about this holster is that you can grip the pistol in a combat grip as you draw and it is pretty natural to release the locking mechanism. Also, to reholster, you simply put the gun in the holster and it automatically secures the pistol. This could be helpful if you end up drawing your gun on your horse... I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to secure a thumb strap while riding.

The pocket holster might work out pretty well. Although if you are sitting, it would be harder to draw. If you where cargo pants/BDUs, I found that the cargo pocket is a good place to carry.

Another option I can think of is something like Thunderware. I have not personally used this, but I would imagine it might be something worth looking into. http://www.thunderwear.com/aboutus.asp

Finally, another option you might be able to consider is to carry the gun in the saddle/saddle pack. I don't know how your saddle is set up, but if this is an option, if nothing else will work well, you could try this.

RsqVet

Thanks guys.

Great point on the SOB, I have heard it mentioned before and wasn't thinking of it, and though I question if it's an absolute problem I don't want to find out taking a tumble out of the saddle.

I'll try one of the smaller pieces strong side, likely OWB, strange as it may sound the glock, 232 and Ruger have always been pocket or pack guns thus far. I'm pretty skinny and thus compressed on the sideways dimenshion so IWB only works with the 229 or smaller and even so it can be akward dependign on how I am sitting in my truck.

I agree on thumb breaks 100% for regular CCW and none of my regular hosters have any, for this or for when I am back packing I always want a break or a flap becuse I'll be climbing in and around brush, under things and so forth at times and the strange thigns invaribly will happen --- after losign my second leatherman I found a sheath with a fastex buckle.

Thunderware --- I've seen it, considered it for work --- under scrubs, but for the saddle thing it would be too much to get in the way.

EricN

Just my .02....

My ex used to fox hunt and raise hunter jumpers so often I found myself riding while armed. A galco fletch holster worked best for me. The thumbsnap not only helps retain the pistol but keeps it from chafing. I usually wore it on my right hip with a light jacket over it and no one was the wiser.

ericn

clt46910

Have you considered a crossdraw holster? I sometimes use on while in my car and used one while backpacking. While it is a little harder not to flash with an open jacket or shirt, it is possibile. Seems a lot of cowboys prefered this type carry while on horseback.

Capt. Charlie

Moderator Emeritus
While lots of folks laugh at them, this is the case where the fanny pack is ideal. I don't like anything in my pockets or on my belt when riding, and I learned my lesson early on when the saddle's cantle worked my wallet out of my pocket, and I had to backtrack several miles to find it. I bought an Assault Systems CC fanny pack and wear it at 10 o'clock when mounted. It contains my weapon, spare mags, cell phone, truck keys (and wallet ;) ). I've been thrown several times while wearing it, and the contents remained intact (more than me, anyhow.)

I don't like my gun attached to my horse rather than me, but some folks do. State Line Tack has some decent horn bags for about $35. that will do the trick, and if you really want to go with the unusual, Cashel makes their "Ankle Safe" pack that straps to the outside of your lower leg. Not a good idea if you're riding through brush, though.

Onebum

I'm about to purchase my first pistol so I've been checking out holsters, I'm not speaking from experience. This may work for you, it may be junk, but Galco (www.usgalco.com) has the "Bellyband" and it may work in your situation. I've never heard mention of it, it looks iffie for everyday, but might work for horseback. Hope this helps a little.

Da Bum

radom

High Ride thumbsnap worn cross draw under a jacket or shirt jacket. what ever you use for a gun go stainless steel..they dont get all beat up looking like a blued gun does on the trail.

Webleymkv

I would think a shoulder holster would be the best way to carry while mounted because it keeps the gun readily accessible but out of the way.

hawken50

wait a minute... i thought, as an america, the only handgun you can morally, ethically and legally carry on horse back is a single action revlover!!:p

HighValleyRanch

Hawken50,
that's only true if you ride on a nice old leather wetern high back saddle.

But...if you're riding on something like a sythetic wintec saddle, you may carry a GLOCK!;)

Samuel2001

A while back I was looking through a Blackhawk catalog and they had a holster/harness that put a radio or holster right in front of your chest at about the sternum area, riding at about 45 degree angle. If I remember right it even had a space for a spare magazine and a small/surefire type flashlight. Seems like a great way to carry if concealment is not an issue.

I ride 4wheelers so this set up caught my attention. Currently I carry my 1911 in a Galco cross draw rig while riding and a couple of spare mags in a flap type holder, in the small of my back. While riding concealment is not an issue to me.