Hornady Zombie Max ammo... same as FTX???

I always thought it was the same as the red plug ammo, only with nucular green rubber...

I'm looking for some reasonably priced bulk HP ammo... I went to Hornady's website & read this, that they had to say about this particular ammo...

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

so are they not fully charged, defective bullets they put green rubber in or??? just marketing ploy... any issues if these were used for self defense???

Cheapshooter

Advertising.
I saw one youtube review that showed the chronograph results being faster with the Zombie Max than with Critical defense. Fogot what it was, either 9MM, or 380.
I'll try to find it for you.

Last edited:
thanks...

just flipping back & forth between the 2 products on their website... they look similar in performance... but for all I know, they X ray their bullets before sticking the rubber in the nose, & maybe they use rejects for the Zombie bullets???

I like the gold dots myself... but as mentioned I was looking at more economical priced bulk hollow points ( in 9mm )

you got a source for cheap bulk Gold Dots... I'm all ears :)

BTW... read most of the info in the link... unfortunately considering the limited scope of the tests, & the difference in purchase time ( many lots had come & gone ) I'm not sure I conclusively learned anything

also with a warning like posted on their website, could that have any repercussions legally in a self defense shooting???

Cyanide971

Just think of Zombie Max as nothing more than a green polymer tip version of the Critical Defense round in a fancy box for advertising.

Check Ammunition Depot and SG Ammo, as they have great prices on all available, in stock JHP's (under $30 for 50 rds of Critical Duty, HST, Gold Dots, etc.)

Cheapshooter

Look online for Speer Gold Dot LE. Comes in 50 round boxes priced close to what some LGS, and box stores get for a 20 round box. Even after shipping it's much cheaper, and if you combine several boxes the shipping for each box is less.
For instance, AmmoDepot has Speer GD LE 115gr 50 rounds $24 and change. Shipping $14 and change. So you get 50 rounds for forty bucks. It's like two, twenty round boxes for twenty bucks each plus an extra 10 rounds

I got some Gold Dot love today :)

got e-mail notice & picked up 500 rounds of Gold Dot short barrel 22 mag ammo... for a gun I don't even have yet ( looking at a S&W 351 PD or waiting for a Ruger LCR-X in 22 magnum ) I already had 500 rounds, but told myself I wouldn't buy anything until I found another box of 500... now it's looking like the S&W might win out, as I may not be able to wait until Ruger comes out with an LCR-X in 22 Mag

I buy a lot from SG Ammo... but haven't pulled the trigger on 9mm ammo yet... :eek:

Cyanide971

My most recent purchase of a large quantity was from Ammunition Depot; picked up 250 rounds of standard pressure 9mm Critical Duty for $163 shipped. Before that I stocked up on a bunch of 124gr standard pressure HST for just a few dollars more.

BigMikey76

Zombie max is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It goes on sale locally, sometimes, and it is cheaper than the regular critical defense, so I buy it here and there.

IdahoG36

Hornady Zombie Max ammo... same as FTX???

No it's not the same!!!!!! FTX will not kill zombies. ZMax will. Any questions?:D:D

The ZMax and FTX are the same bullet with a different colored polymer plug. As stated above, ZMax is just a fun marketing gimmick.

What I never could understand is why a person would buy the ZMax over the Critical Defense. They are almost identical in price, depending on sales, promos, etc. Both are the same loading. The ZMax has a green insert but lacks the nickel plated brass casing of the Critical Defense.:confused:

I actually prefer brass cases to the nickel plated, on anything I reload, because I wet tumble & while you can wet tumble the nickel cases I find the brass cases easier to work with...

Will-j

Grown- ups or Kids?

:confused:
I cannot, for the life of me, grasp how [supposedly] mature persons are throwing in on this "Zombie" BS crap. And even less-so, supposedly intelligent ammunition manufacturers.
Isn't it about time to grow up?:(

Lurch37

I cannot, for the life of me, grasp how [supposedly] mature persons are throwing in on this "Zombie" BS crap. And even less-so, supposedly intelligent ammunition manufacturers.
Isn't it about time to grow up?

I believe the ZOMBIE MAX line of ammo came about with the popularity of the ZOMBIE 3 Gun shoot held in the same town as where Hornady is located. I do not know how popular their Zombie ammo was or is to be honest, although I did buy a couple boxes for gifting and for myself just to have a few. I will be honest and say there is much cheaper ammo that can be purchased especially for a "lost brass" 3 gun shoot.

As far as marketing a line of Zombie Ammo, in my mind it goes along with all other makers of Zombie stuff, whether it's clothes or TV or ammo or whatever. Along those lines I place it along side all the pink stuff for the ladies, tactical stuff for us guys, and the myriad of other ways the companies try to entice us to buy their product, which is, simply, marketing.

Brian48

I bought a box of the Zombie Max, but mainly just to hold onto. 20 years from now, no one is going to believe they existed.

Yeah, they're the same as the FTX. I read somewhere the Zombie packaging came out essentially as an internal joke during the Zombie craze, but the idea took off and Hornady decided to share the fun.

cocojo

Zombie Max is FTX and so is Critical Defense . I like the green tip over the red. Most Zmax ammo is loaded in brass cases but i have some which was made with nickel cases which had a primer seal, looks like critical duty cases. I have found zmax slightly faster than cd ammo, unknown why. I use it!