Hornady XTP info?

I could use a bit of guidance. I've been happily loading Berry's 230-gr plated RN bullets for .45 ACP for a number of years. I'm now facing doing up some loads using Hornady's XTP bullets, both 185-gr and 230-gr in .45 ACP. Not finding much load data but I think I'm close enough to make it go bang while staying well in the safe zone.

For the most reliable feeding, I would like to duplicate the factory C.O.L. for each bullet weight, and I have no Hornady ammo around in .45 ACP -- only 9mm. If anyone out there happens to have a couple of rounds in either weight, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd measure up a couple or three of them and post the overall lengths.

many thanks.

buckit

Fiocchi 230 grain xtp loads are 1.217
Hornady 230 grain xtp loads are 1.246
Surprised there is that much difference with the same xtp bullets. I don't have any 185 gr loads.

Nick_C_S

Buffalo Bore 185 XTP's are 1.204". Seemed kinda short; but I measured 4 of them and they were all the same.

rg1

Hornady 230 XTP's in 45 ACP my overall length is Hornady's recommendation at 1.230" and they feed and shoot well in Colt's and Glocks. For 185 XTP's an oal from 1.210" to 1.230" works fine. I seat them to 1.210".

zeke

Also using the 230 xtp's, which were seated to 1.215. Being long in the tooth, had stocked up on em. Am now lead to understand Hdy changed the profile to a longer nose. If true, may consider seating them out further.

Thanks, gents. My goal here is to replicate the shape and dimensions of actual Hornady ammo, rather than to match their performance, so I think I'll try some at the published 1.230 and maybe a few at 1.246 for the 230-gr variety.

I, too, wonder why different manufacturers would load the same projectile to comparatively significant differences in C.O.L. One of life's little mysteries, I guess.

rg1, do you use the same powder charge behind both the 230-gr and 185-gr, since you vary the seating depth, or do you use more powder with the 185s?

rg1

I use the same 2 powders for 185 and 230 gr. HP-XTP's. The 185 gr. HP-XTP's get more powder than the 230 gr. I use Accurate Arms data for AA#5 powder for both, and Unique powder also for 230 gr. XTP loads. One of my Colt's won't handle seating the 230 gr. XTP's longer as the chamber on this one pistol is shorter. Do a chamber check if seating longer than 1.230". Probably seating to 1.246 won't be an issue in most all 45's. Small variations in seating depth in a big bore .45 ACP's don't cause pressure problems like in a 9MM Luger for example.

DR Owl Creek

FWIW. Hornady's 7th Edition loading manual does list an OAL of 1.230" for the 230gr XTP HP. Hornady's 9th Edition loading manual, however, lists an OAL of 1.210" for the same 230gr XTP HP bullet. There's a "Note" at the bottom of the introductory page in 9th Edition that says the listed OAL is for minimum spec chambers, and that you may need to load longer depending on your gun.

The newer Hodgdon "annual" manuals also list the 1.210" OAL's for the 230gr XTP FMJ FP in the 45 ACP data section.

Having said that, I load all my 230gr XTP's at 1.230" OAL, and they feed and function fine in all of my guns (Kimber, Para Ordnance, HK & Glock). I would recommend that you take the barrel out of your gun and use it for a chamber gauge by doing a "plunk test" before you load up a bunch just to make sure first though.

Dave

DR Owl Creek said:
Having said that, I load all my 230gr XTP's at 1.230" OAL, and they feed and function fine in all of my guns (Kimber, Para Ordnance, HK & Glock). I would recommend that you take the barrel out of your gun and use it for a chamber gauge by doing a "plunk test" before you load up a bunch just to make sure first though.
Thanks for the reminder. I have often used the plunk test with factory ammo to help diagnose problems with a particular gun & ammo combination, but I never think to use it for checking my own ammo. In this case, though, I'm evaluating magazines, which means I'll want to be shooting the same ammo from the same magazines through a number of different pistols. That's going to be a lot of "plunking" if I do it. I haven't even decided yet which pistols to use.