Hornady Verus Dillon

THEWELSHM

They are like Smith versus Colt . The smith rotates one way Colt goes another.... Both are with their own tweaking issues as any engineered equipment will be. Either way great presses get into progressive My 02..:)

thewelshm

Well, some differences. More different Dillons to choose from, for one. General scuttlebutt says Dillon customer service is more determined to keep you happy. But both have their proponents.

LE-28

I think this debate wore out quite a while ago. I haven't seen a good orange vs blue for quite a while and I'm glad of it.

I still say the first one you buy that works well for you is going to be your favorite.
In this case it's hard to lose.

Real Gun

It is no longer a two player game. The new line of more conventional design presses from RCBS are in the game, although a number of those interested are waiting to ensure that a good working case feeder will be available. There is a 5 or 7 station version. Bring money. RCBS was never price competitive.

And don't forget the other red. Lee has been making their progressives in one form or another for some time. But I've never heard of one that the owner didn't have to tweak fairly regularly. Their turret and single stage tools have got much more enthusiastic followings.

BigJimP

Yes, I agree....but:

a. Colt and S&W both made very good guns ( but I don't like the Colt - and much prefer the S&W ).

b. Hornaday and Dillon both make good equipment ...although I prefer the Dillon by a large margin...

1stmar

Unclenick when I first started reloading it was on a lee pro1000 that I got from midway for $99, pretty sure it included dies. It was so cheap I began buying 1 for each caliber. But as you said, constant tweaking. Mostly shell plate issues, if I recall there was a plastic screw under the shell plate that just never seemed right. Always felt like lee was so close to perfecting the balance between quality and price and for another $20 in parts they could have improved that design and really had a great low/mid volume progressive. Eventually got tired of messing with it and bought a Dillon. Been very happy since, but for the occasional times I reload some calibers, I would still buy a lee pro1000 if they worked out the kinks, just to avoid changing out parts.

Single-Sixer

Tough call. I don't need the capacity a progressive would give me, but if I did I'd probably only be able to decide by reloading some on each press.

WVMountaineer

My brother owns a Dillon. My best bud owns a Hornady. Both are great. Both are better than a Lee anything by miles. But, both are twice to three times the Loadmaster and, 3 to 5 times the Lee Pro 1000. For my uses, a Lee is great but, one day blue will adorn my bench. Lord Willing of course. God Bless

Nathan

Flashole....Please clarify... I have had nothing but great support from Hornady.

Maybe Dillon is crappy??...but, I've Dillon is great too.

For me, it comes down to caliber change kits. I prefer Hornady's lack of caliber change kits.

Another Hornady benefit is that lnl QR die insert bushings ensure a perpendicular die mount. Dillon's die plate is loose causing less precise die alignment. Must be good enough as several comp shooters load Dillon.

flashhole

I've been burned by Hornady Customer Service 3 times over stupid piddly chit. I purged my bench of all things Hornady and will never buy any of their products again.

Maybe others have had better from them but I will continue to share my bad experience.