Hornady TAP 75 gr .223

cmdc

How well does it perform out of a 16" bbl, and is it a good choice for a personal defense round, or are there better ones?

Thanks

Old Bill Dibble

When you say "personal defense" do you mean home defense or do you mean like walking around with a rifle on your back? Or something else?

Old Bill Dibble

It's an outstanding round in general and performs as premium grade self defense ammo should in most circumstances. A lot of LEA's use them and swear by the round.

Our agency did not adopt it. They stayed with the .223 TAP round for various reasons I won't go in to.

qrz

I called Hornady tech support regarding the 55 vs 75 when they first came out. I was told that the 55 is more likely to stay inside the house but the 75 could travel outside pending walls. That was just one persons opinion. May be by now you tube may have some tests to watch by now. May be there has been some changes in the rounds and what I was told no longer applies (except to older rounds).

The Black Hills Blue Box 75gr gets just under 2600fps out of my 16" barrels (about 2585fps to be exact). It is also one of the most accurate loads out of all of my rifles.

If you are concerned about terminal performance, it is one of the most tested loads out there with openly available ballistic gel tests of it going back a decade. The Hornady LE website also shows performance out of various barrels. I think it would serve well in a home defense role, though it can be a bit lacking in intermediate barrier performance compared to newer stuff that is barrier blind.