Hornady TAP 45 ACP +P

PSP

I just ordered some 230 gr TAP FPD on Sunday from them. I've used it for about a year as my carry ammo. It is consistently accurate, high quality, low recoil (I don't use +P) and little, to no, muzzle flash. Great ammo.

MGD 45

I currently carry the 200 gr. XTP+P in my XD45. I love the ammo and it shoots great, and I've had to shot a bull with it on duty on night.

IdahoG36

I haven't shot the Tap .45acp, but I carry Hornady Tap in my GLOCK 23. I have found it to be some very accurate shooting stuff. I couldn't believe the group the first time I shot some out of my old Springfield XD Tactical. It produced some excellent groups.

ragwd

I use 200gr in my carry hk usp .45c, good stuff and I got mine from "ammo to go" for 140 for 200 rds. I am happy with it but really its the only .45 hp that i have ever used. So i have nothing to compare it with.

timothy75

I carry the 200gr but plan to replace it since the stats I've seen show a little more penertration than I wanted. Its very accuate and reliable however. Whats odd is I've seen the TAP crowd bash it online stating its dirty and inaccurate compared to the TAP. But I'm skeptical regarding their claims.

kayakersteve

I went out last night after dark and shot 15 rounds at an old junk car in our back pasture - I had my son there trying to catch it with my camera, but the shutter lag makes timing this impossible - Anyhow, there is still a good flash out of barrel of my 4.25 inch Sig. Hard for me to tell if muzzel flash is any less than other ammo as proclaimed, but I still like it reliability if feeding and accuracy. I also hunt with the XTP bullet that is in these and it is a proven performer on game.

Manedwolf

It's okay, but the design is old now. I used to have some, but switched to Cor-Bon DPX +P, the one with the all-copper Barnes bullet. Excellent barrier penetration and expansion in tissue.

kayakersteve

I haven't tried the DPX, but did try the flying ashtray, JHP's by Corbon and they did not fee reliably for my Sig. All other have so far. - I have seen the expansion of the XTP in deer from a 454 and 44 and have been very impressed.

kayakersteve

That is a good question and I don't know that there is anything better about them - I think it is just shooter preference. Infact, there aren't good studies to demonstrate they are more effective than golden sabres or Hydrashoks.

johnle

I trust my life with them, they are accurate and expand well. They just don't expand as wide as the gold dot or HST rounds but regardless they are low flash reliable and plenty deadly. The XTP is among the most accurate bullets, and that's probably the most important to me.

kayakersteve

That's while they are called 'XTP' bullets - Extreme Terminal Performance! I have seen the damage they do to a deer; that's testimony enough for me.

yomama

sealant

I love the TAP, but it does not have sealant for the bullet or primer. I called the factory, and they couldn't tell me shelf life expectancy. If anyone knows this I would love to know.

tulsamal

I had my son there trying to catch it with my camera, but the shutter lag makes timing this impossible

That's why you use a tripod and then use an open shutter. Open shutter, fire gun, close shutter. Use a locking release so nothing moves.

Gregg

PSP

Automatic Colt Pistol. Differentiates it from other similar sized ammo.

A little off topic;
I just tried some of this Homeland Defender, Fear No Evil ammo. 230gr JHP +p in my Kahr P45. Holy smokes, this ammo is hot!.. Too hot for my little Kahr. Accurate though, but it made me start to flinch and that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

johnle

I love the TAP, but it does not have sealant for the bullet or primer. I called the factory, and they couldn't tell me shelf life expectancy. If anyone knows this I would love to know.

Just rotate, I think this ammo should be fine for 6 months unless you live in a humid area where the walls sweat with humidity...then in that case I'd find new ammo every couple of weeks anyway

Unregistered

I think this ammo should be fine for 6 months unless you live in a humid area where the walls sweat with humidity...then in that case I'd find new ammo every couple of weeks anyway

Wow, you must throw away a lot of ammo. I suspect if you stored the ammo in a cool, dry place, it will last indefinitely. I have reloaded for years, and never used any sealant. I have never had a problem with ammo going bad.

Crosshair

What's so great about an extra 50-100fps the +P gives you in the 230gr?
Very good question. The answer, for me at least, is that it increases the chance that a hollowpoint will work as advertised. We all know Mr Murphy likes to screw us up and low impact velocity tends to screw up HP performance.

Yes it might only turn a HP that expands 95% of the time into one that expands 97% of the time, But if the shooter and gun can handle the extra power, why not.

In the end, we all carry the ammo we feel is the most effective.