Hornady releases new 6MM ARC cartridge

hounddawg

reminds me of a 6 MM Grendel. Wouldn't mind trying one out in both bolt and gas rifle if tests out ok. My 6 BR and 6 CM bullets like around 3K of speed as far as nodes go, not sue if this thing can push them fast enough. Thoughts anyone ?

https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/

taylorce1

Well it is basically a 6mm PPC/Grendel/AR all of which are based off the 7.62X39 case, with Hornady's spin on it. There is plenty of data to read on those cartridges, it doesn't seem like not reaching 3000 fps will be any problem with reaching an accuracy node. 2750 with a 105 and 108 grain bullet from a 24" test barrel isn't too bad. I wouldn't want an AR barrel that long, but in a bolt action PRS or hunting rifle build it wouldn't be bad. Seems like a pretty efficient cartridge that I might like to try in the future in an AR with an 18" barrel.

FrankenMauser

All of the problems that come with a Grendel, plus lighter bullets, traded for a slightly higher ballistic coefficient and a little bit of velocity.

It just doesn't appeal to me, and almost no one that I've discussed the cartridge with sees it as different enough to be worth adopting.

I know only two people that are even mildly interested in the cartridge.
Both already own 6.8 SPCs or 6.5 Grendels, and seem to be more interested in a barrel change (and bolt for the 6.8) than a new rifle or upper.

Appeal in the eyes of the mindless masses may change, however, if the cartridge takes on a special mystique from its DOD/DHS usage.

hounddawg

well I took a wait and see on the .224 Valkyrie and I am glad I did. After doing some thinking I doubt it will do anything the 6BR family does so my next bolt build will remain a Dasher.

But if it pans out in gas guns it might be worth a barrel swap. I have a Grendle so it would be a easy convert

hammie

@Frankenmauser: I don't know how to do quotes, but you said:

"All the problems that come with a grendel..."

What are those problems? I was going to buy a bolt action grendel, either a CZ527 or a Ruger American. Should I be re-thinking this?

Picher

I'd call it the 6mm-P, for PUNY. However, I'm not a semi-auto shooter. They'll probably think its the best thing since sliced-bread. (Hope it's successful, but I'm not interested.)

hounddawg

I have a Grendel upper for my AR that I think works fine for what I put it togethr for, a 200 yard hunting rifle. However for bolt riles I think there are better choices than the Grendel. I can think of a half dozen different 6MM cartridges for bolt guns. From the old but still good .243 to the latest 6.0 CM.

However on the gas rifle side the choices are limited. If this thing turns out to be as accurate as a .243 or 6BR even with it has a bit less juice I can see where it would have a place in a long range gas gun based on the AR 15. I am just waiting to see some real world tests, the Valkyrie looked good before release but the accuracy was not there when it hit the real world. Time will tell, I will wait till fall or winter and keep a open mind