Hornady powder measure

buckey

Have a pair of Hornady powder measures that get some use on a regular basis, Seems that they are getting bound up as of late. Powders like Allient Sport pistol, Bulleyes, True Blue and Power pistol which I use the most are whats in them when they get bound up and have to be taken apart. After the drums are removed you have to take a dull knife and scrape the hard powder caking from the casting to get things up and working again, anyone else ever have this problem?
Thanks

BBarn

Haven't had that issue with mine, but I've only had it about a year and a half. Do you perhaps leave powder in it? I always empty mine at the end of each loading session.

buckey

I empty it after every use, have Redding, RCBS and 2 Lyman 55 powder measures and have never had a problem before with them.

Sounds like the drum may not be correctly sized for the hole in the body, but I can't say without seeing it. You could ask Hornady.

Acetone will dissolve powder to get the parts clean. Once clean, you can mix graphite with denatured alcohol and rub the slurry onto the drum and into the body and let it dry and then see if that is slick enough to stop the powder from caking onto the sliding surfaces. There is also a dry Teflon in an alcohol carrier from DuPont that is sold at Lowe's that might help if you work it in.

snakeye

Just like Unclenick when I clean my powder measure I always use powdered graphite. I don't use alcohol but I pour a 4 ounce bottle of graphite into my measure and run it through. After it is done then I lightly tap it and run it to get all the excess out. I think I will try the alcohol mixed in next time though,

Last edited:

buckey

I've tried graphite and powdered moly and both did the same thing to the drum, Both powder measure's are less then 10 years old which is at least 15 years newer then my other 4 powder that run perfect.