Hornady One Shot

JohnKSa

Administrator
Based on the result of this thread, I procured some Hornady One Shot. It comes in two varieties ("Gun Cleaner and Lube" and "HD-Extreme") so I got some of each. The cleaning products thread tested the "HD-Extreme" variety.

So far I've been pretty impressed with it as a lube/protectant. It goes on easily and the liquid carrier evaporates rapidly leaving a thin film of lube/protectant. It's nice because you can spray it into tight spots without worrying about a lot of liquid lubricant leaking out for days or attracting dust and crud.

This will probably be my new "go to" product for a final spray/wipe down after the gun is clean and ready for disassembly. It doesn't hurt that I find that the odor is much milder than Breakfree CLP.

I confess that I can not tell the difference between the "HD-Extreme" and the "Gun Cleaner & Lube" variety except by looking at the can. The odor is the same and the two products appear to be identical in every respect. The HD-Extreme is, according to the label, supposed to be formulated for high-volume shooting. In addition, the claims on the packaging imply that the HD-Extreme may offer better corrosion protection.

I haven't used it as a cleaner yet but I hadn't really purchased it with that in mind. As quickly as the liquid carrier evaporates, I have a hard time believing it would make a good cleaner.

oldcabin

Yeah.... I read that thread and bought some too. And yes, it's not a gummy product
that attracts dirt and such.
I'm not a lube-ologist by any means, and most of what I learned I learned here. I'm just an enthusiast, I appreciate the work the guy put into the comparison. It seems to work well.

Adventurer 2

I picked up Hornady One Shot to clean reloading dies (per the instructions). I've used the One Shot for cleaning the gunk off my single stage press also. Now I'm going to use it for wiping down my firearms. Thanks for the post.

riflemen

I am kind of crazy when it comes to the products I use with my guns, and I love the hornady line...

Here is what I have come to be fond of over the years..
First for long term storage EEzox, this stuff is amazing..

Next for the wood Howards Feed n wax {I also use this on my speakers, some of which cost upwards of $10K, so I trust this stuff}...

Lubes, I am stuck on the wilson combat trio, they are costly but a bottle of each should last a lifetime, I find they make my bolt guns, shotguns, and 1911's smooth as silk...

Rem wipes are convenient and I have a pop top at each safe, these work good with silicone socks, some other wipes on the market make your treated socks stick to the gun, these work perfect...

and all of the Hornady sprays are also on my list, I use them mostly for reloading, for cleaning my guns I use clp squeeze bottle...

JohnKSa

Administrator
Some more experience with Hornady One Shot.

Tonight I did some basic cleaning using it as I would use Gun Scrubber or a similar solvent/degreaser. It does a very good job of blasting gunk out of tight spaces. Nice to not have to worry about relubricating the areas as would normally be required with a typical cleaner/degreaser.

I'm going to have to get some more of this stuff. I can see an addiction starting...

One shot is a great all around product but it will do a job on your lungs in a tight/closed environment. Use with care.

I normally use it outdoors with the wind/breeze at my back - but sometimes the basement is the only choice.

riflemen

Its funny to watch the video with the Hornady rep using it, he all but drinks this stuff, covering his skin with it, no gloves, spraying it all over the place. You watch that video you think you can drink the stuff..

I haven't noticed too much of an odor or powerful airborne presence with the one shot/cleaner dry lube, but I don't spray it like paint, I just blast it fast wipe and then recoat lightly...

Adventurer 2

Wiped down my knives with One Shot. Branching out-spayed the inside of my auto/truck/motorcycle tool kits with One Shot. I've put charcoal in the tool kits and occasionally spray down with WD-40 but they always seem to get some rust on them. Hopefully, the rust will stop now.

campingnights

Dangerous stuff

I tried some oneshot and was also quite pleased with it. Then I read the warning lables on the can, use a respirator,absorbed through skin, can cause multiple organ failure, REALLY??? Yikes!
I now use Fireclean. Harmless and does a better job too. When I used it to clean and prepare already "clean" guns, I was surprised how much carbon crud came off.
Use what ya want guys, but read the warnings too.