Hornady New Dimension 9mm Die Set...ROLL crimp?

I'm about to pull out the funds to buy a new 9mm die set. Midway has the following set in stock finally:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=667162

Another member here recently had issues with his die set in .45ACP on getting the correct crimp. Come to find out, the set had a ROLL crimp die instead of a TAPER crimp.

My question is this: Is this a common term or is it referring to a style of crimping used with bullets that have the cannelure? The intention of using this set is for my semi-auto, not a revolver. The bullets I'll be using are your run-of-the-mill plated and jacketed variety.

DEDON45

I'm guessing you're referring to my thread... the 9mm headspaces on the case mouth as well... you'll want to get a 9mm taper crimp die for your set... if you're buying Hornady dies, the box even has a space for it... the main reason I got a Hornady crimp die is that it will clear the ejector spring on my LnL Progressive... I hear the Lee FDC is a pretty good die too. I was able to find the .45ACP taper crimp die for only 10.00 at my local Sportsman's Warehouse (it was 20.00 at midway!). Don't know if they mispriced it or what...

Oh, and roll crimp is used on bullets with cannelures (revolvers, semi-auto and other repeaters)...

Notice in the "others also bought this" section on that page there is a link to this: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=538099

Yep, Dedon, it was you. I didn't want to name any names unless you wanted it to be known.

The link you provided is the die I'm considering. The reason why I'm considering only Hornady is the stories of using other dies in their Lock 'N' Load press. I figured I'd stick with Hornady dies in my future purchases for the most part to skirt the issues.

Of course, this pops up again...another die set that really isn't a complete set. So, it looks like I'll be buying a set with a die I won't be using and then buy a separate die (more money) to complete my own.:mad:

BigJakeJ1s

Of course, this pops up again...another die set that really isn't a complete set. So, it looks like I'll be buying a set with a die I won't be using and then buy a separate die (more money) to complete my own.

I don't understand; you will be using all three dies in the Hornady set, and a separate, additional crimp die. What die are you not planning on using?

Andy

BigJake,
I miscommunicated in context:
I'll still use the seating die, but will end up backing it off enough to not allow the roll crimp portion of that die to take place. Instead, I'll buy the taper crimp die and place it in station #5 to complete the reloading process.

Shoney

Of the hundreds of dies that Hornady makes, they only make 8 taper crimp dies:
38 – 9mm
40 SW – 10mm
400 COR-BON
45 ACP
454 CASULL
460 SW
475 LINEBAUGH
500SW

If your box does not specifically say that it is a taper crimp ( in your case a 38 – 9mm Taper Crimp # 044170), then you have the roll crimp die. Roll crimp dies work well to apply a taper crimp (Tuttle8 gives a good description), as long as they are not set too deep to engage the roll portion of the die.

Alleykat

If you want to apply a proper taper crimp, get a taper crimp die. All the semi-auto die sets I've ever bought (most are Lee) come standard with a taper crimp die.

DEDON45

In my case, my Expander die sits in the .45ACP box all the time... since I wanted a powder cop die on my LnL AP, I had to also get a powder-thru expander as well to free up a station... everything works great now.

I do agree it's a bit annoying that Hornady just doesn't add 10 bucks to the cost of the .45ACP, etc. Die sets and make them 4 dies sets... though I like these dies, they are real slick.

Shoney

I must disrespectfully disagree with Alleycrap, again.

Lee only produces the following 8 pistol taper crimp dies, not sold in die sets and 31 rifle taper crimp dies. As seen on their web site, they are:
9mm
45 ACP
38 SPL
44 SPL
7.62x39DISCO5
45 COLT
40 SW – 10MM
32SW LNG
All the standard die sets are roll crimp, which will produce excellent taper crimps when the roll portion of the die is not applied.

Alleykat

Lee "standard" carbide die sets for common semi-auto calibers do not contain a roll crimp die. They contain what Lee refers to as a "modified taper" seater/crimp die. That die ABSOLUTELY does not apply a roll crimp, as that'd be terribly stupid. Hey, I appreciate the respect, even when the reply in which the respect is shown is incorrect. ;) Roll crimps are only used when a cannelure is present, not for semi-auto cases that headspace on the case mouth! Elementary, grasshopper! :)

I do agree it's a bit annoying that Hornady just doesn't add 10 bucks to the cost of the .45ACP, etc. Die sets and make them 4 dies sets... though I like these dies, they are real slick.

This is one of my thoughts. But, since the "roll" crimp die can be used to "taper" crimp I guess Hornady doesn't see the need. Being new to Hornady's dies, I wanted to make sure that I can still get away using their "roll" crimp to "taper" crimp safely.

I bought their "special" taper crimp die just to satisfy everything since I don't have time to mess with waiting for a second order to come in. I need to get about 1000+ rounds fabricated in the next couple of weeks for an upcoming course...

Thanks for y'all's input. Much appreciated...

Shoney

Alleycrap
You should learn to understand what you read before you shoot your mouth off again and again.

Lee says,
"There are two crimp shoulders in our bullet seating dies. The first shoulder applies a slight taper crimp and the second shoulder applies a full roll crimp. The closer the die is adjusted to the shell holder the heavier the crimp will be.
"
That means that each die has 2 shoulders. The first is a taper crimp, and when screwed down enough will give a roll crimp.

Take an unprimed unbulleted case and progressively apply a crimp to it by screwing down your crimp die. Eventually your "supposed" taper die will apply a nice crimp. Try it!!!!!!!!!!
Unless your afraid of putting a roll crimp in your style!!!!!!!!

Alleykat

Lee also says that a "taper crimp die is not needed..." The reason they say that is because their seating die imparts a nice taper crimp, when properly adjusted, or a roll crimp, as you point out, if improperly adjusted, for straightwall semi-auto cases. The Lee seater/crimp die isn't a "roll crimp die," and using that die to roll crimp when a cannelure isn't present is foolhardy.

Oh, yeah, "Big Boy", thanks for your usual, mature demeanor.

Shoney

The ridiculous absurdity of your posts is underwhelming yet hilariously funny!!!!!!!
Alleycrap in post #7 above writes
All the semi-auto die sets I've ever bought (most are Lee) come standard with a taper crimp die.
Yet when confronted as to the incorrectness of this statement
Alleycrap in post #10 above writes
“That die ABSOLUTELY does not apply a roll crimp, as that'd be terribly stupid.”
After a posting of info straight from the Lee site, which refutes your statement again, you reverse the previous statements
Alleycrap in post #13 above writes
Lee also says that a "taper crimp die is not needed..." The reason they say that is because their seating die imparts a nice taper crimp, when properly adjusted, or a roll crimp,
And the really sick thing is, not only did you reverse your statements on the roll crimping die, you think you have won an argument which never existed
Alleycrap in post #13 above writes, ”The Lee seater/crimp die isn't a "roll crimp die," and using that die to roll crimp when a cannelure isn't present is foolhardy."
??????????????????
The problem, moreover, is that someone will think you know what you are talking about, and that will lead to their having troubles.

DEDON45

Wow, this thread is going in the wrong direction...

anyhow, to the OP, have you got everything worked out now?

Nice that you asked, Dedon.

I just received my die set from Midway today. When I get my .40 and .45 loads finished, the 9mm will be next.

It will be a few days, but I'll let you know. Appearance wise, the set looks really nice. Kinda like the box, also. Much easier to open compared to my Redding boxes....

DEDON45

Tuttle8, just got back from the range a bit ago, my Taper-crimped .45ACP rounds worked flawlessly... good luck to you!