Hornady manual high max loads with RL17

FiveInADime

I loaded up a bunch of 150 grain bullets with Reloader 17 for my 7mm-08. I had previously worked up to 46 grains of RL17, but found an accurate load at 45.2 grains so I stayed there. Now I want to do some more experimenting with that bullet and load and I have changed primers. Well, I looked at my Hornady manual and for their 154gr. bullet section they list 47.5 as max with RL17. This is by far the highest listed max load for that powder with 150+ grain bullets in 7mm-08. Anyone else know of any published loads that high? I loaded up a work up to 47.5 starting at 45 grains.

steveno

there will be different rifles and equipment used by the bullet and powder companies. I wouldn't be surprised at all by the differences in loading data. always start low and work up so you don't get into any trouble

FiveInADime

I just wanted to hear if anyone thought Hornady may have made a mistake or why they would be out of line with Alliant and other manuals.

reynolds357

One thing to keep in mind is that Hornaday is testing with the bullet they are publishing data for. Bearing surface of the bullet has a tremendous effect on pressure.

FiveInADime

Well, I agree with the fact that bearing surface makes a difference but Hornady has a flat-base spire-point, a round-nose, Interbond, and SST listed over that data.

Also worthy of note, Hornady lists the max charge of Reloader 17 as 47.1 with the 139gr. bullets. I am going to try my work-up anyways, but I will be surprised if I don't run into pressure.

reynolds357

I dont mess with Hornaday. Had too many bad batches over the years to even waste my time on them. My last box of A-maxes did me in for good. Match grade? Not even plinking grade in my opinion. Weights, oal's, and diameters were all over the place. I will give someone some wiggle room on a hunting bullet, but if its supposed to be a target bullet, it best not be junk. Having said that, mic the Hornaday bullets and see what they mic at. Compare that to some of the other manufacturers. Back in the late 80's, Speer had a .264 bullet that their data showed loaded hot as Hadees, and fast as lightining compared to anything else of comparable weight. When you put a mic on it, it was significantly smaller in dia than the rest of the manufacturers. I had one rifle it was accurate in and two it would not hit the broad side of a barn. Who knows what Hornaday is doing?

FiveInADime

Well, my suspicions were confirmed. 47.5gr of Reloader 17 is NOT safe in my gun. I shot three rounds from each of my five steps of my work up in a round-robin. Things looked good all the way to 47.5 grains. I had loaded 10 rounds for each step so I could confirm an accuracy node if I found one. Well, they were all pretty good up to the top (.75"-1") so I shot a group with the remaining 7 bullets at 47.5 grains first. The group was ~2" and on the seventh shot I popped a primer which screwed up my ejector plunger. It is stuck recessed in the bolt. The previous nine had NO SIGNS. No sticky bolt, no flat primers, no extractor marks, no apparent case-head expansion, nothing. Should have listened to my gut. I would guess that 46 grains is probably a reasonable MAX with 150gr class bullets.