Hornady Lock N Load or Dillon 550

Alex Johnson

I've used the Dillon 550 quite a bit and can't say that I find it all that bad a press, but I've been thinking about buying a Hornady Lock N Load now for quite awhile, simply because it seems like my father spends a fair amount of money adding stuff to his two dillon's (conversion kits, dies) I guess my big question is this, how much extra stuff do you have to have for the Hornady press to start reloading with it. I know you have to have different shell plates and obviouslly the dies, but is there any other hidden accesories that are needed. Looks like from my best guess it would cost somewhere around $40-50 for a caliber conversion depending on if you need different plates. How does this compare with the Dillon conversion kits? Also since I have a fair collection of dies for some oddball calibers that I've picked up over the years from various makers will the Lock N Load still work with these, I know the 550 does. Thanks.

Shoney

The 550 is a good press, while the LNL AP is better. The Hornady gives you the features of the 650 at less than half the price, plus it has features that make it more versitile.

Do a search of previous discussions. I've loaded a great deal on the 550 and some on the 650 and find the Hornady to be superior to either of these dillon presses. Once the auto case feeder is in production from Hornady, I believe the LNL AP will far surpass the dillon in sales.

Shoney

BJordan71

I asked about the same question a few weeks ago and I ended up with the LNL. I had already converted my Rockchucker to LNL so it was just a matter of adjusting the dies to the new press. What you'll need for a minimal caliber conversion is the dies, and the correct shell plate, everything else can be readjusted. What I use for a conversion is dies, LNL adapters, and shellplate. One thing I've found is the Lee Factory Crimp Dies are almost too short to work well in the LNL so if you're in the market for FCD's buy Hornady's. The Lee dies also hit the loaded round ejector wire but my little lathe took care of that. The best price I've found so far on Hornady equipment in from Boses Guns in Nebraska, www.bosesguns.com. They list the LNL-AP for $286, plus, they don't have a minimum order amount so when you need that $10 doo-mi-good you don't have to wait until you meet the minimum.

Several other TFL-ers provided good information and some interesting modifications for the LNL-AP so just wait awhile, they'll show up.

I've been using my LNL for about a month on 9MM and 38/357 and I can't tell you how much better it is than my RC. I can crank out 200 rounds in an hour without breaking a sweat and I'm still getting the hang of it. Changing from 38 to 357 takes no time at at all unless I'm also changing powders. Buy the drain adapter for the powder measure up front, that speeds things up quite a bit. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM or email me.

Load faster, shoot longer.

Stay safe.

ryucasta

When comparing an LNL to a Dillon 550 the LNL is a better product. Unfortunately when comparing the LNL to the 650 it’s my opinion that the 650 is the better choice simply due to the fact that it has a case feeder which the LNL does not have.

BTW, I currently own one LNL, two 650’s and one 1050 and I mainly use my 650’s with Hornady resizing, Redding competition seating and RCBS crimp dies.

moredes

I use the LNL AP also; it's not as fast as the 650 is supposed to be. Dillon claims 1000rd/hr; I can do 300/hr at a leisurely pace with the Hornady, for a hair less than 1/2 the cost, after 5 conversions are included. There were some bugs to work out, but after the routine and the priming system bugs were fixed, the press has been infallible.

ryucasta

Moredes,

There is no arguing the fact that the cost difference between the LNL and the Dillon 650 is substantial, especially if you’re on a tight budget but having said that what is your time worth to you? It’s my honest opinion, that the LNL would give the Dillon 650 a run for its money if only they made a case feeder for it.

vetts1911

LNL

I like the LNL for the main reason it has a life time backing and the service for a few parts I needed was outstanding. I love the speed and cost to change out dies and set up. The price is great and the quality is high. I have a few friends that load on a 550 and realy like my LNL. I feel it is a bit more user friendly and less complicated. I helped out setting up a 550 and it made me glad I own a LNL. No doubt Dillions are great a press. I prefer the LNL and I am happy after 2 years and over 30K rounds.

drano38

I'll agree w/ everyone else here, and say the LNL AP is a great press at a great price.
I've had mine for about 5 years, and run about 10,000 rounds of .45 auto and .38 Special thru it w/ no problems. The auto indexing is great, and the spring shell retainer makes it easy to remove a casing to check a powder charge.
And unlike the blue ones, the Hornady will load almost any long rifle cartridge because it is a taller press.
No doubt I made the right decision.
Drano

moredes

Oops, sorry, Ryucasta, I haven't been back here in a while. I bought the LNL AP under the anticipation that Hornady's announcement that a case-feeder is 'on the way' will be a factual production sometime in Feb 03. They claimed in June02 to be ready for xmas 02, so I'm guessing Feb03...

Guy B. Meredith

I haven't really taken a close look at the Dillons since before I bought the Hornady, but I believe they also require a powder measure change out.

The only extras I would buy for the Hornady are the micrometer insert for the powder measure, RCBS lockout die and maybe do a mod to the powder measure if you want to run 4 dies plus the RCBS lockout (haven't tried that one yet).

I can normally do 100 in 10 to 12 minutes with no strain, but reloading primer tubes and relaxing with a cup of coffee every couple or three hundred rounds prevents that from being a full 500-600 per hour. More like 400+. Say two hours to set up, inspect brass and run off 400 to 500.

The micrometer insert for the powder measue is very accurate in allowing you to go from one powder setting to another by the numbers on the dial. I would never advise depending on that without weighing for a check on setup, but it does speed things up.

The powder drop is amazingly consistent with the AA ball powders that I use.

Fatelvis,
The Dillon is also very good, but the L-N-L offers some 650 features and quality at 550 prices. Some niceties are ability to pick and choose individual dies to change out even in a loading run (I have done this to switch crimp dies for different powder loads during a run), auto indexing (not a feature everyone likes) and 5 die stations.

On the down side is the tendency to hang on to the last primer in the tube. I have solved this by putting a 1/8" dowel on top of the primers to keep them orderly and moving. Hopefully this is not a dangerous practice as it blocks the tube loosely. Originally I thought it would be necessary to use a tag to prevent the dowel dropping into the primer shuttle, but it turns out that it works just fine to let it drop into the shuttle and lock it back after the last primer is delivered.