Hornady Lock N Load Bushings in a single stage press

Nathan

This it how I’m setup now, but I think I’m changing back to threading in dies to my single stage press. Seems more straight and solid.....am I thinking about this right?

Bfglowkey

The bushings for Hornady LNL have you thread the dies into the bushing and lock it in once you have it dialed in right, then its a simple thing to pull the entire die with the bushing out and replace it for another type of die and back again without readjusting the die ever again. The only down side...you have to buy a bushing per die. Yes added cost, but the time saved is worth it to many.

jpx2rk

I have LEE single stage presses, and use those. As a general rule, I don't have to adjust the dies after they are set, but I do check the FL/NS dies for the correct measurements each time I use 'em. On occasion, the die does move, or I have not set the die/bushing combo tight enough when inserting it.

brasscollector

You're overthinking it.
My LNL single-stage did just as good a job as my Co-Ax to the point I ended up selling the Co-Ax and kept the LNL.

rclark

I reloaded with a Hornady O press since the early 80s. I changed to a Hornady Iron press not long ago and really like it. Yeah, I had to buy a bushing for every die I use, but so far it has been 'worth' it. I haven't had to adjust anything (once adjusted the first time). Just my 2 cents of experience.

Bfglowkey

I have 2 Hornady presses ( Single stage and the Progressive LnL variant) and my Co-ax. The Co-ax is reserved for all my larger, precision based loading ( think 243 casing size and up) while my single stage Hornady is for my smaller cases ( hornet and bolt 223 hunting etc) and my progressive is for pistol, 300BLK, plinking 223/556 AR candy etc) I like to get right to the meat and potatoes of reloading so I do all my prep work on rainy/snowy days and put powder primers and bullets in cases the night before a shooting day. Everyone has their own needs and set ups but back to the original...LnL bushings make some solid ammo, reliably repeatable in the bushings system. My Grendel bushings have not been touched in over a year and 2k rounds loaded....still making same tight shooting rounds.

FlyFish

I do all of my quantity pistol loading, and also .223, on my LnL and the other rifle calibers on my Rock Chucker. I decided to switch the Rock Chucker over to the LnL bushing system some years ago, and it's worked out just fine. Also, I'll from time to time want to do a little experimental pistol loading - just a few rounds - and find that easier to set up for on the single-stage Rock Chucker. But - no surprise, I guess - the space between the top of the ram and the bottom of the die is different between the two presses (a little less on the Rock Chucker). I found a stainless-steel washer of just the right diameter and thickness to correct that so I don't need to mess with the lock rings, which remain set for the LnL. Sinclair sells much better quality shims that accomplish the same thing with more precision, I'm sure, but my washer does the job.

Nathan

For you guys that love LNL bushings I single stage presses, what do you think about the lock up?

The press bushing has about a 90 degree angle and the bushing starts at a sharp 90. To fit them, you install the bushing and use it the first time. That breaks the edge on the 90. Force smashes the 90 edge into the flat of the 30 until there is enough bearing surface to stop wear. Nothing other than the o-ring makes it bear evenly.

So how do I know the fire is benchrest straight? IME, it is straight enough for most reloading.... literally have seen 0.002” tir.

Anyways. It is good, but not great, IMO.

gwpercle

Never saw a big burning need ... been getting along just fine w/o bushings for 50 years .
I'll just ... Keep On Keeping On ...
Not getting rid of my Pacific Super Deluxe ...

Bushings ... What Bushings ... We ain't got no stinking Bushings ...We don't need no stinking Bushings !
Sorry about that ...watching too many old western films on TV ...
Gary

Metal god

Nothing other than the o-ring makes it bear evenly.

The “O” ring is there to keep the bushing in place. It does nothing for concentricity. As soon as there is any load put on the die the concentricity is based solely on how the bushing thread/arms engage the press.

That said IMHO the Hornady classic single stage is not very good for precision case prep and loading. I’ve been using one for 10 years and I think I’m pretty meticulous about my case prep and consistency. I've used Redding dies Including the competition seating die, yet I couldn’t seat a concentric bullet if my life depended on it.

Nathan

Metal god said:
The “O” ring is there to keep the bushing in place. It does nothing for concentricity. As soon as there is any load put on the die the concentricity is based solely on how the bushing thread/arms engage the press.

If you look at the bushing/press insert design, you will see that the new bushings are made with a 90 deg locking lug. The press inset has a 45 deg locking lug. The bushings are slightly softer.

When you push down and turn the bushing or when you operate the press, it deforms part of the bushing lug. This seems to occur until it it worn enough to support the force. This also centers the bushing in the insert. That makes it concentric.

Metal god

When you push down and turn the bushing or when you operate the press, it deforms part of the bushing lug. This seems to occur until it it worn enough to support the force. This also centers the bushing in the insert. That makes it concentric.

I think I'd agree with the bold section but there is nothing actually "squaring" anything to the ram/shell holder/inside die body etc etc . There are to many variables in all those individual parts to assume because there's a little float somewhere it all ends up square . That's all I'm saying and if you're like me you put an O-ring under the lock nut of the expander button to allow that to self center . The question is . what is all that centering to ? If you have a few parts that are allowed to self center . What fixed point that we know is centered and square is all that stuff centering to ?

How many guys swear by turning the case 180* when seating the bullet to help concentricity ? Why if everything is all self centering ;):D

Bfglowkey

I think mileage may very: I had the single stage Hornady LnL as my very first press with and all my precision loads netted very repeatable and notable results. Now I did notice some improvement when my Forester took over duties, but I still use the Hornady for my Grendel, ARC and BLK rounds with results that I am very happy with.

John Feamster had an article in Precision Shooting in the mid-'90s in which he used the o-ring to let dies self-align. The idea is the die can then shift slightly in the threads if there is non-uniform axial pressure on it. I can see that helping to straighten a sizing die a little, but the off-axis force from seating a bullet is relatively small, and I'm less sanguine that it can overcome thread friction in that situation. I suppose you could increase your odds that it will shift favorably by lapping the die and press threads smooth and lubricating them well.

I never measured a real difference in seating concentricity due to an o-ring being present, but I haven't tried the experiment in 25 years and didn't think to lap or lubricate threads at the time.

Bart B.

Do all the dies used to make cases and bullets have rubber O-rings under their lock rings? Both use several dies for their coin, cup, draw, trim and shaping operations.

Isn't the seater die bullet guide perfectly aligned with the seater die chamber regardless of what angle the die axis is to the press ram axis?

Last edited:
You'd think so. And as I say, I never saw any benefit when I tried it. I just don't know that it's impossible to see any benefit without further experiment. But since I have other ways to ensure ammunition concentricity, I probably won't get around to trying it again.