Hornady LNL Powder measure jamming

Nathan

I have a 20 year old Hornady LNL powder measure. I put the new linkage on that and all looks good. I cleaned with the Hornady cleaner/dry lube. It seems super slick without powder.

Then I add CFEPistol and it binds up at mid stroke or at the top of the stroke. Why? Can a powder measure wear out. I baby this thing. I don’t have graphite to run through it as I have done before....is that required? Ahhh!

Any advice?

It is like the spring is too weak.

Last edited:
I think I would try to operate it by hand to feel how bad the stiffness is. If it's hard for you to move by hand, it is tough to imagine the spring would have an easy time of it.

The binding can be one of two things. If there is wear, the powder could get between the drum and its journal in the frame. Dumping the powder and seeing if it is still stiff or taking it apart and looking for crushed or smeared powder on the drum and journal surfaces would tell you whether that is happening or not. The other thing is a tough powder just getting caught between the drop way and the edge of the metering cavity in the drum, as frequently happens with any stick grain, forcing you to cut it. The solution to that is more involved, as you have to put a chamfer on what would be the trailing edge of the cavity mouth as it starts rotating down to dispense the powder at about 30° so powder trying to get caught slides up that slope instead, and if you overdo it, it can cause a little powder to fail to drop constantly, which then involves chamfering the corresponding portion of the journal in the frame at the bottom where dispensing occurs.

Nathan

It is in the rotating drum. The powder must be just the right size to wedge between the drum and housing....I may need to spend money on a new one....

Shadow9mm

Hornady has a GREAT warranty. and great customer service. Give them a call. You might get a new powder measure out of it....

Sounds like the drum fit just isn't snug enough for a fine spherical powder. It may be something Hornady can address.

hounddawg

my two cents worth is that it is drum or body wear. I ran over 8 pounds of TAC though mine and at least 2 pounds of CFE 223 along with lord only knows how much Win 231 with no problems

Hornady was always good about warrantying anything that went wrong with my LnL AP, I would give them a call

Nathan

Did it stop working all at once?Did it work OK before you cleaned It?
No, it was sensitive to this hang up for years, but I could always get it running by cleaning it. I would say it worked ok, but it was leaking Enforcer bad during my last loading session.

Did the problem occur before or after you messed with the linkage?
Are you using the original drum o-ring?
Seems like it got worse with the new linkage, but it is supposed to be an improvement, right? The o-ring is original....no sign of wear/damage.

Nathan

I called Hornady. After I finish my 9mm reloading, I’ll take apart and measure. Probably the powder measure is wore out, but I’ll measure both with some dimensions the gave me. If that checks good, well I’ll be back on the phone. It should have a pretty tight fit. I think nominal was 0.0025” clearance, or 0.0013” radially. I don’t think powder really should be able to jam with that.