Hornady LeverRevolution 45-70 in an Encore?

buymore

I am a glutton for punishment! I got an Encore barrel today 45-70 in 15" to try for deer in Ohio. Anyone tried the 45-70 LeverRevolution in an Encore pistol yet?

I wanted more punch than a .357 but I couldn't find a good price on a used .44 bbl. and the price was right for this one. I traded a $300 pistol for the barrel already scoped with a Bushenll Trophy 2-6x32 LER and he threw in $25 cash. It has decent Weaver steel ring too. The scope sells for over $170 NEW and it doen't show any signs of use that I can see. I figure the guy bought it, tried it, and couldn't handle the ferocious bite! Now I'm the next victim!

I'd like to stick to factory ammo if possible, but may have to load down if too stout! I like the stats on the NEW Hornady stuff, but wondered if anyone has tried it in a pistol yet? Thanks

buymore

well, I didn't get the Hornady's yet, but I did fire a 335 gn and a 325 gr factory load today from a friends stash. Both were ok for me. Good news is, the scope is close on those two rounds, so I'm hoping the Hornady Leverevolutions are close! It's a keeper so far!

Only bad news is, the previous owner overtightened to scope ring screws to the point of gouging the scope tube a little. The adjustments on the variable ring work, so again, I'm hoping it's close on sighting in with the Hornady's. I do agree with other posters on the 45-70 as a pistol round....it is STOUT, but not unmanageable! I may even be able to scare a deer to death if I miss! Talk about LOUD!

Bambi watch out!!!