Hornady L&L AP question

RANGER94

Hello Everyone,

I am setting up my Hornady L&L AP. . There are 3 bushings that come with the press that go into the powder drop tube. I want to know what the medium and small bushings are for what calibers? The Hornady Youtube video is using the a short case .32 auto, they use the long bushing. I mainly reload .45 auto, .45 colt, 9 mil. .38/.357 & .44. Not sure which bushings to use...

FlyFish

You just use whatever bushing you need to actuate the powder measure linkage properly, and that's a function of the case length.

Short case, long bushing (as in your example of .32 auto). Long case (e.g., 45 Colt), short(er) bushing. I suppose I should save some time and write down in my reloading manual or notes which calibers use which bushings, but in practice I find it's easy enough to figure out when I make the changeover between calibers. You also have some flexibility with how far you screw the powder measure down into the press, so there's a bit of overlap between bushings and calibers.

Economist

The long one is for pistol cases, the other two are for rifle cases. The rifle inserts have different bevels in them, one is for .20 to .270 and the other one is for 7mm to .45.

Page 22 of the owners manual expains this. Enjoy your machine! I love mine.

Last edited:

qrz

My LNL came w/ a small powder measure manual. On p18 there are some bushings w/ p/n 16-20. By caliber they will drop powder accordingly, but they will not expland/flare the case mouth. If the kits and ordering of parts have not changed since I acquired mine, you will need to roder those ptx expanders by caliber that will flare the case mough in place of those bushings mentioned. Download Hornady catalog and in the pdf, do a search on ptx and it will take you to the listing by caliber.
-
Separate comment on the primer set up. Be sure to replace "all" the parts (small/large) in/out as needed for the appropriate primer size needed for that caliber you are working on. That is easy to over look.
-
If you store your powder measure in the garage over the winter, make sure it is winterized (greased where the drum inserts) to prevent rust if you live in one of those rust zones.

RANGER94

My LNL came w/ a small powder measure manual. On p18 there are some bushings w/ p/n 16-20. By caliber they will drop powder accordingly, but they will not expland/flare the case mouth. If the kits and ordering of parts have not changed since I acquired mine, you will need to roder those ptx expanders by caliber that will flare the case mough in place of those bushings mentioned. Download Hornady catalog and in the pdf, do a search on ptx and it will take you to the listing by caliber.

-

Separate comment on the primer set up. Be sure to replace "all" the parts (small/large) in/out as needed for the appropriate primer size needed for that caliber you are working on. That is easy to over look.

-

If you store your powder measure in the garage over the winter, make sure it is winterized (greased where the drum inserts) to prevent rust if you live in one of those rust zones.

Great. Thanks for all of the help. I am usually very diligent on reading instruction manuals. But with the YouTube videos from both Hornady and Yankee - I honestly got complacent.