Hornady Interlock RN 180gr length

Slinky Pickle

Every database that I can find (QL, GRT and various online ones) indicates an overall length of 1.168" for the Hornady Interlock RN 180gr bullets. I have a couple of boxes of them that I've used on my .303 Savage loads. I've measured them personally and they appear to be 1.063" in length. Has any one else stumbled across this issue? I just don't understand why so many databases show the same, incorrect value.

Slinky Pickle

What's really weird is that the number is slightly different in some of the databases. Not even close to the actual length but different enough that you would think it came from another source or measurement.

44 AMP

Staff
here's something else to further boggle the mind...

I just looked at one of my Hornady books, which shows 7 different 180gr bullets (one a RN). and while it doesn't give the length of the bullets, it does give the COL of loaded rounds.

Three different COL's. Now, if we assume that the rounds are loaded with approximately the same amount of bullet inside the case, you've got 3 different lengths sticking out.

Maybe a computer program will allow for that, but it needs correct data to give accurate results, and some generic number doesn't necessarily work.

Slinky Pickel,

Most bullets are run on multiple machines with multiple tooling sets, so they don't match exactly. That's normal. The worst offenders are hollow points on match bullets which often come out slightly slanted and I've measured 15 thousandths of length variation in one box of Sierra MatchKings before, most of it due to the tips, but a little (about 0.003") was due to difference in base to ogive where it meets the throat. The bullets still shot just fine, as what happens to the nose near the centerline has very little effect on exterior ballistics, at least, not until you get to beyond 800 yards. Anyway, tooling varies the exact dimensions.