Hornady data

Rifletom

:mad:I've been handloading rifle cartridges for some time now without many problems to speak of. But recently, I purchased the latest Hornady manual[#8], and right off the bat, there are two "problems" with the first two cartridges I load for. First up: 270 Win. Same test weapon,barrel length and twist. But the OAL is different by .075"! yes, same 150gr Hornady bullet #2740 SP. ***!
Hornady manual #4 states 3.285". #8 states 3.210"!

Next: 30-06 Same test weapon, 1/2" difference in barrel length same twist.
The difference between these same 180gr Hornady #3070SP is 0.020".
Not as bad as the 270, but any reason for this type of difference?
If anyone might be able to explain this, I'd sure like to know.
The reason for the rant is, I've been loading to the longer OAL's. No problems as mentioned earlier, but whats with this shorter OAL, same bullets?
Thanks for reading this.

PawPaw

They give you the OAL of the cartridge they loaded for their rifle, which might be a short-chambered test barrel.

Load for your rifle. If you're loading for several rifles, load to SAAMI specs. If you're loading for a magazine rifle, load for the length of the magazine. Sure, use the Hornady data for a reference, but don't get tangled up worrying about small variations in OAL for rifle ammo.

Load for your rifle. There are enough variations in chamber length, throat length and rifling differences to make loading for your rifle an individual proposition.

Rifletom

PawPaw: I understand what you're saying, but in both manuals, their test platform was a Win Mod 70 with the specs I mentioned. This is what caused my concern.

Sarge

There are people who recommend that reloaders should obtain every available manual, so as to have the most information at their disposal. I am not one of them.

I've used the same 30-06 load for 15 years now. It uses either a 150 grain Sierra softpoint, or a Nosler BT of the same weight, with just under Hodgdons' top load of H4895 for that bullet weight. I say 'just under' because I load it just under their recommended OAL so it chambers in any of our rifles with room to spare.

I've never gotten a hint of a pressure sign, the load is accurate (1 to 1.5 MOA) and I'll work in Remington bolt-actions or 7400 autos until you are sick of stuffing magazines. It flattens big whitetails out to 250 yards and I wouldn't be at all worried about setting one down at 350 with it.

30-30 loads? Same story, same powder, Sierra bullets. The .223 is the only rifle cartridge I've played around with in recent history, and I found two excellent loads in the first three tried. Wanna guess what powder and whose bullets comprise it? The answers are in the paragraphs above.

Why on earth would I want with an encyclopedia of of loading data? My rifle loads are already worked out. I've got a tattered old copy of Metallic Cartridge Reloading that answers all my 'pipe dream' questions and provides a yardstick for numerous firms bullets and powder in any given cartridge. I can get Hodgdons data online are there are dozens of forums, just like this one, where we can bounce ideas and pet loads off others who have probably already tried them.

You're an experienced reloader Tom. Keep doing what has worked for you and give that book to a newbie, sell it on here or sell it on ebay.

Rifletom

Thanks Sarge, much appreciated. Yep, that 8th edition of Hornady's is going someplace, just not on my bench. Have a Happy Easter.