Hornady Critical Defense 380ACP performance from my Ruger LCP - Not too shabby!

kayakersteve

Here is a photo of some nicely expanded Critical Defense rounds that were shot from my Ruger LCP. They were shot ~15 yards into a pool of water and did expand well. Next, I will try shooting through different materials, but this ammo is hard to find so I will be stingy about just shooting it all up. Anyhow, had 100% feeding in over 100 rounds, so I now carry it in the gun for my CCW weapon.
600_IMGP9479.JPG

Jim March

Yeah, every report on this stuff in 380, 38Spl standard pressure and 38+P has been positive. Appears to be very good stuff.

Hornady *finally* admitted to themselves that the XTP sucks at low speed expansion.

alfack

I switched to it in my PX4SC, but haven't found any for the LCP, yet.

Nice you can get 4 mags worth out of one box for the LCP :)

Kreyzhorse

Nice expansion. Thanks for posting your results. If I can ever find any .380 ammo, I'll try to find a box for my LCP.

kayakersteve

Krezy...

I know what you mean! After I got the gun, I was desperate for ammo. Had a few rounds becuase I also own a PPK, but not much. Finally got desperate and bought some HCD from Gunbroker. Don't want to make a habit of this as you must pay a premium. Hope to see it make it onto the store shelves soon. In my neck of the woods, a lot of dealers are rationing what they do get in so one person doesn't just come and buy it all up.

Pyzon

Thanks for the report !

I plan to make this the regular diet for my P3AT as well as my favorite carry piece when clothing allows, a CZ-82.

Anybody gotten around to comparing this to my old standby of GoldDots ?

Zilmo

I'm going to try some in my HSc and see if I have any feed issues with it. I have a few boxes of it, just haven't made it to the range yet.

IdahoG36

I just picked up a box of this stuff in 9mm. The videos I've seen on YouTube are pretty impressive. I have to wait to get a few more boxes before firing this stuff through my HD pistol to check reliability, but having shot a lot of Hornady ammo, I don't doubt that it will be reliable.

Here is a link to a short vid on the Critical Defense-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXSTqV0CT4

kayakersteve

Not true...

but having shot a lot of Hornady ammo, I don't doubt that it will be reliable.

Most of us have used Hornady before and had realized that their xtp bullets did not expand well traveling at the relatively low speed that handgun bullets move. This is an entirely new design and as my photos demonstrate, they expand as good as can be expected. They also fed 100%.