Hornady brass without flash holes

tangolima

Brand new 50 pieces of .243 win brass. None has flash holes. How does it work? Did I just got the wrong batch that sneaked pass QC?

No new thing under the sun, said the wise man. But this is new to me.

-TL
3c68ee1eed9302cc657c50dc7018fbc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tangolima

Yeah yeah yeah.

I'm contacting Hornady to ask for replacement. I'm taking one to drill my own flash hole. 0.077" diameter seems right.

-TL

Nick_C_S

Ya don't see that every day!

Yeah, snuck past QC.

Let's just hope Hornady hasn't sent out loaded ammo that way.

mehavey

Once I got an entire box of Winchester-factory loaded 38-55 ammunition.
Couldn't figure out why the primer "sounded" like it went off, but no boom.

`Pried a spent primer out with an ice pick....
. . . . . .Guess what ?
:mad:

ballardw

I would say that makes more sense in production terms than one out of 50 without a hole. Missing or broken punch in the step making the hole.

RoyceP

Brand new 50 pieces of .243 win brass. None has flash holes. How does it work? Did I just got the wrong batch that sneaked pass QC?

No new thing under the sun, said the wise man. But this is new to me.

-TL
3c68ee1eed9302cc657c50dc7018fbc7.jpg

Looks like Hornady is going to do a recall on that batch. Dangerous.

Marco Califo

Does Hornady really make their own brass? Or, is it contracted out to Armscor or some other cheap vendor. I don't think Starline made that brass.

It's contracted, I believe. For example, Nosler Custom Competition brass is made by Norma. But who Hornady uses, I don't know.

I've had a few of those show up in a box of bulk Winchester 223 brass before.

If you have a lathe or know someone who does, I recommend you bore and turn a drill guide out of some scrap drill rod to keep your drill from walking. This paper is an interesting read and may change your mind about what size to drill them. It's a master's thesis done in cooperation with Fiocchi USA, which supplied brass with undrilled primer pockets to the author. In brief, he found centering the holes does affect precision and that holes drilled 3 mm (0.118 inches) in diameter cut variation in muzzle velocity and peak pressure by up to 28% as compared to the common 2 mm (0.079 inches) flash hole. This flies in the face of the small flash hole fans who have shown improvements using the littler 1.5 mm (0.059 inches) or 1.6 mm (0.063 inches) flash holes.

If you are feeling adventurous, drill ten of each out at 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm, and 3.0 mm and compare the velocity SDs you get using your components. I don't fully trust that any hard rule will necessarily behave well with all component combinations. If the 3.0 mm works best for you, you can always drill smaller ones out later.

tangolima

Hornady replied. They are sending replacement.

They didn't ask to return the blind brass. I will do some tinkering with them. Tried drilling one with 2mm bit. Just eyeballed it and center punched. No guarantee on centering. Bigger diameter should help with improving variation.

-TL

A couple of tricks:

Even with the center punch, if you have some thin brass or steel shim stock, you can cut a strip to wrap around the punch to center it in the primer pockets. Even a strip of paper can work for a short time like this since nothing is spinning inside of it.

Once punched, use a really small drill, like 1/32", to drill a pilot hole. A toolmaker pointed out to me that the skinny drill will flex, so it tends to bend to stay centered in the punch mark while it drills the pilot hole, whereas a wider, more rigid bit can hog the punch mark sideways a little.

DaleA

Are you sure they didn't get knocked out during shipping?

Did you check the bottom of the shipping container? Note: holes are very often hard to see.

Glad Hornady stepped up to take care of the problem.

tangolima

You mean a drill bit with pilot tip? 2mm is too small for that. Sizing die as holder is a good idea.

-TL