Hornady and Savage announce 7mm PRC

stagpanther

Yet another contender in the PRC game--I bet this one will be a winner and I'd love to try it. I predict the 25 PRC will die a quiet death, especially now that Blackjack has folded its doors and stiffed everyone that had backorders.

taylorce1

Maybe this one will be a success, the 7mm SAUM and WSM have never been very popular. From what I've read online about it they used a different length case from the .300 and 6.5 PRC that burns around 70 grains of powder. Ammunition claims 3000 fps with 175 grain ELDX bullet which is very impressive. So basically it's a long action optimized cartridge for shooting long high BC bullets.

Your .25 PRC isn't dead yet. Blackjack may be gone, but Hornady introduced a .257 caliber 134 gr ELD-M bullet. So I'm guessing you're going to see a PRC or Creedmoor cartridge in a year or two.

Hornady .257 ELD-M Video

stagpanther

Your .25 PRC isn't dead yet. Blackjack may be gone, but Hornady introduced a .257 caliber 134 gr ELD-M bullet. So I'm guessing you're going to see a PRC or Creedmoor cartridge in a year or two.
I think it's likely a goner for more reasons than bullet availability--actually that's not a problem since patriot valley makes one just as good as anything blackjack ever made IMO--the real issue as I see it is unless your a competitve long range shooter that doesn't mind swapping barrels out once a year--it's such an over-bore scorcher I don't think any commercial firearm maker will ever venture to put it into production. I could be wrong, but that's where I'd put my money on a bet.

Last edited:

MarkCO

My FB feed was full of the 7PRC fans the last few days. George Gardner shot 3 Elk, 2 nice bulls, this year with it. Gave it a strong thumbs up. A few of my other friends that used it have as well.

I sold my 7mm Mag a few years ago and just finished a custom 280AI. I'm not going to ditch that as I wanted one for a long time. But I suspect that the performance and the marketing behind the 7PRC is going to dry up some of the fringe 7mms, like the Saum, WSM, etc. I also think it will take a tad of 7mm Mag market share, especially from those who reload. In the factory ammo group, I doubt many are going to sell their 7mm Mags for the 7 PRC.

GeauxTide

I've loaded for a 7mm Remington for over 40 years. My current load of a 154 Interbond over RL25 shoots 1/2" at over 3000fps. I have 200 cases, so if I want to shoot pencils, I'll get an 8" twist barrel. Further, Midway sells PRC 300 and 6.5 brass for 73.00/50, a $20 upcharge over Remington brass.

Scorch

Looks to me like a 7mm Rem Mag without the belt. Similar ballistics, "fast twist" :rolleyes: 1:8.5" for LED bullets. Nothing a 7mm Remington Magnum can't do. Just another reason to buy another rifle for ammo that doesn't exist in the wild.

reynolds357

Yet another contender in the PRC game--I bet this one will be a winner and I'd love to try it. I predict the 25 PRC will die a quiet death, especially now that Blackjack has folded its doors and stiffed everyone that had backorders.
All we need is another 7. .284AI, 7 Rem mag, 7 WSM, 7 Western, That's just the ones similar to the new PRC.
I personally love the 7 WSM. It is my ideal 7. I have two identical Winchester Coyotes that are pure tack driver's. The mags are long enough that I can pick up case capacity using VLD bullets.

stagpanther

I wonder sometimes just how good the 6.5 and 300 PRC's really are (they have different cases). My 25 can get some good groups out but they aren't easy to find, I suspect I'll end up eating the entire life of the $500 barrel just fireforming brass and finding a few good loads. I wonder if the PRC is sorta like the WSM--capable of great accuracy but magic loads are perhaps hard to find.

MarkCO

capable of great accuracy but magic loads are perhaps hard to find.

I think you will find the opposite, and thus the interest and the development. Less finicky the the belted and Short Mags. The loads that work in my PRCs are usually loads that will work well in all PRCs. That is a testament to the efficiency and case design. Sure, something most hunters don't need and many will scoff at. But that is the same reason the 6.5 CM gained so much traction. My best loads in my first 6.5CM are very good in the rest I have tried them in. The CM and PRC calibers also tend to have less issues with OAL and leade than the older calibers.

reynolds357

I think you will find the opposite, and thus the interest and the development. Less finicky the the belted and Short Mags. The loads that work in my PRCs are usually loads that will work well in all PRCs. That is a testament to the efficiency and case design. Sure, something most hunters don't need and many will scoff at. But that is the same reason the 6.5 CM gained so much traction. My best loads in my first 6.5CM are very good in the rest I have tried them in. The CM and PRC calibers also tend to have less issues with OAL and leade than the older calibers.
I just personally fail to see where the PRC is in any way superior to the WSM or RSAUM.

MarkCO

I just personally fail to see where the PRC is in any way superior to the WSM or RSAUM.

Until you shoot them and reload for them past 500 yards or so, you won't.

A regular hunter can pick any of them and see no benefit of one over the other. The precision shooter, who reloads, quickly sees the benefit and stops shooting the old ones...unless they are stubborn.

robin banks

A regular hunter can pick any of them and see no benefit of one over the other. The precision shooter, who reloads, quickly sees the benefit and stops shooting the old ones...unless they are stubborn.
when the 7mm WSM came out the US army shooting team set records at 1000 yds

Red Devil

When it's all said and done...?

It's still more cartridge than the vast majority of hunters/shooters need, and will tolerate.

Fad - get it while it lasts...

Red

reynolds357

I shoot the 7 WSM at 1k. Winchester had the wrong twist in their rifles, but that is easily fixed. 7WSM fast twists won a lot of 1k marches in the wind.