Hornady ammo question...

uncyboo

Brother-in-law works all the local gun shows. While working he stays with us, as his home is about 50 miles away. To return the favor, he picks up a box of ammo for me. The last 2 times he has brought me Hornady 280 Rem 139 grn SST. Great, Hornady makes good stuff, right. Well I just went to put the 2 boxes of ammo into my MTM 100 rd. box, and I noticed that the brass was headstamped RP, not Hornady. They do have SST bullets, and looks like a factory crimp, and the primers are brass, not nickel plate. Does Hornady use Remington brass? If so, first I've heard of it. I'm not complaining, just perplexed.

Horseman

Hornady makes their own brass and I wouldn't worry about the color of the primers. They may have modified that load with different primer/powder combo. When ammo mfg's make a run of ammo they use train cars of powder. They make a test run of each batch for testing making any mods necessary due to powder changes. This is why you should check the batch number on the box if they shoot good and go get more.

B. Lahey

I have some Hornady 5.56 that's loaded in Winchester military brass (WCC). I guess they think ammo using somebody else's brass beats no ammo at all if components are running short. I agree. It's good stuff no matter the headstamp.

uncyboo

Hornady makes their own brass

Yes that's why I'm a little confused.

I wouldn't worry about the color of the primers

I'm not worried about the primers, my point was that in 25+ yrs. of handloading I've never seen brass primers available to handloaders, only nickel plated ones. Therefore my concern would have been that someone at this gun show took some Remngton brass, loaded them with SST bullets, and put them in a Hornady box to pass them off as new factory ammo. The presence of brass primers vs. nickel plated primers confuses this theory more, at least in my eyes.

Horseman

I'm not worried about the primers, my point was that in 25+ yrs. of handloading I've never seen brass primers available to handloaders, only nickel plated ones. Therefore my concern would have been that someone at this gun show took some Remngton brass, loaded them with SST bullets, and put them in a Hornady box to pass them off as new factory ammo. The presence of brass primers vs. nickel plated primers confuses this theory more, at least in my eyes.

I just reread your original post. I misunderstood you a little. If you have R-P headstamps I'd be very suspicious. IIRC Remington does load the SST's under another name. Same ogive and ballistic coefficient. As to the primers. I haven't shot factory Remington stuff for years but I believe they have copper color primers. Do they look factory new? Remington brass always has a pink hue on the shoulder from their annealing technique.

uncyboo

I guess my biggest questin is is this factory ammo by ANY mfg. I handload, so the biggest about factory rounds for me is the brass. I'll use factory fodder to get a scope close on paper, but the final zeroing is done with handloads.

The concern that comes in for me is if it's Remington ammo reboxed in Hornady's packaging, big deal as far as I'm concerned. It's sad that someone would pass it off as something else just to try to make an extra buck, but this was a gun show, and we all know THAT calls for a strong dose of "buyer beware" attitude. However, I have a problem shooting handloads, or reloads, that I didn't produce, or at best don't know the origin. If it's factory, Remington, Hornady, or whatever, I'm ok. If not, I can pull the bullets, dump the powder, and recharge myself. Just would rather not go to that trouble if I can establish this ammo came from SOME ammo maker.

uncyboo

I've never seen non-plated primers for handloaders, but then that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist. I usuall buy Federal or CCI primers.

Horseman

Winchester primers are the only copper colored primers I've used. Everything else is nickel plated to the best of my knowledge.

uncyboo

Yes it's all good. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting some shady handloads. It WAS a gun show, after all. Buyer beware and all that stuff.......

These were kind of a good will gesture from bro-in-law for staying at my place for the weekend. Makes him feel better, and who am I to turn down ammo, especially these days. I wasn't complaining, just trying to figure out whether to pull bullets and dump powder, or just shoot them. I'll be shooting them, soon I hope.

reloader28

Remington LR primers and I think also LP primers are brass. I have some LR.
My Hornady ammo said Hornady but I've only had 1 box.