hornady ammo in my ruger??

old fart

i have a ruger sp101 3inch 357mag., and a ruger gp100 4inch 357mag. its been hard to find ammo around here lately, so when i went to the store today i was excited to hear the shop owner say i have 357 ammo in. he said its all he can get right now, its 140 grain hornady leverevolution ammo for revolvers and lever guns. he said it gives great performance in revolvers, lots of energy delivery. has anyone used this? and if so how did it do?, he had 8 boxes of it i bought 6, didn't want to get it all in case someone else needed a box or two. it was $19.95 for a box of 25, thanks for any help.

X-RINGER

140 gr. Leveraction OK.

I bought some of those for the same reason. They shoot accurately, but they are too expensive. I'm a reloader and could not find .357 brass. I did find the primer pockets were a little tight when reloading. That is not a bad thing.

MoreCowBell

The ammo guy at a gun shop I use reckons it's the best 357 PD round going.
I carried it in my model 65, tried to get some more for my SP101 but I couldn't find it.
Hornady reckons it's the best stuff they've ever made for that caliber, course they may be a little biased.
I haven't seen any testing on it and I haven't shot anyone with it but the specs look real good.
I also bought some 38 spcl +P FTX 110gr for the 442. Same cartridge as the Leverevolution but the red tip is rounded instead of pointed. They call this one 'Critical Defense'. Maybe the pointy tip is to feed better in lever action rifles. I understand that's what the stuff was originally made for, i.e. for hunting. The plastic tip might do better at penetrating clothing (or hide) before expanding in flesh. Also my ammo guy says it makes it fly better than a regular hollow point. That may just be opinion.
Hornady has been making rounds to shoot people and animals for a long time, I'm betting they know what they're doing. They've patented the FTX bullet.

cb

Gen.Barnicky

Bought a box to test and really liked it in my SP101, 2.25". They pack a good punch but very managable in the heavy frame of the SP101. I have not yet tested them with rapid multi shots, maybe a little tough getting the 2nd shot real close as there is some flip to deal with, other concern (untested) is the flash at night. Dark setting with that powerful flash may blind you for a bit. But the accuracy is excellent when plinking one at a time from 7-25 yards. Best I have used in this gun so far. If they perform as well as hornady claims, I'll keep using them. 140gr/1440fps is pretty impressive.

Red Tail

hornady ftx

Hornady FTX +P is a good round for my Security Six, but they overstate the velocity of the round. Box shows 1270 and the Tech confirms only 1090. So beware.

jrothWA

Why not use..

Hornady's .357Mag 140gr XTP ammo, instead of the Leverolution.
Is the Leverolution designed for the longer carbine barrels??

Looking at trying in a 10" Contender, should be great for deer.

44 AMP

Staff
What kind of velocity are you getting from a 2.5/3/4inch barrel?

pointy plastic tip not withstanding, its still a 140gr bullet. One has to wonder what speeds yo uget from short barrels, and how that will effect its performance.

Bullets are designed to expand within a certain range of velocities. Too slow the the design and they don't open up. Too fast and they open up too much.

Its tough to make a bullet that will perform equally well in short handgun barrels and carbine length barrels at significantly higher voleocities. Only the best can do it. Hornady is one of those, so the question becomes not can they do it, but DID they do it?

Butterbean

Hornaday .357 leverevolution in a SP-101 3"

Lord, do not start this discussion again. I was run out of town for buying some
Leverevolutions for my Sp-101
see Thread Hornaday .357 leverevolution in a SP-101 3"

I shot them all up and got some more Hornaday's( not Levers though)
They kick and I am sure I wold not want to be on the receiving end of one:mad: