Hornady A-Max?

Mike38

Went to order some bullets today and my favorite .224 52 grain Hornady A-Max is nowhere to be found. Some searching says the A-Max is now called the ELD Match. Is this correct? Do they shoot the same or am I going to have to start over and work up a loading? :confused:

Shadow9mm

I do believe you your going to have to start over. A-max was discontinued. Eldx and eldm are new lines. My understanding is they changed the tip material and some of the boat tail angles, among other things.

Hornady did a podcast on eldm and eldx line. Pretty cool stuff. https://youtu.be/3GtAGEFWttk?feature=shared

Last edited:

308Loader

^ what they said :)

A-Max is discontinued from what I have read but can still be found on some shelves. My local fleet and farm have them from time to time. Must be moving excess stock from store to store. Luckly for me I caught on to it when the A-Max went on clearance for a few months. Price was less than a box of 168gr HPBT.

As name suggests, I don't have any in .224.

The ELD-M are a different enough shape of bullet in my opinion that you need to start over with your load development to some degree.

Mike38

Too bad the A-Max is discontinued, but maybe there's hope in the ELD. Thanks for the replies!

I have about 80 rounds loaded with A-Max left, then I will have to start again.

RC20

No reason to think they are not good bullets, happy in your gun of course is a question.

I thought I had a solution for you but they are 55 gr and maybe V-Max, somehow they got out of the box and became free range.