Hornady 500 S&W load data? 500 Guru's

Xfire68

I loaded a batch of Hornady 500g XTP's using Horandy's 8th addition load data with 4227. Starting load is 24g max 33.3g, I loaded them at 25.6g.

My question is are these safe? I went on Hodgdon's website to look for data for the 385g loads and I see they have the starting load at 30g max 32.2g for a 500g bullet using 4227..

Xfire68

Anyone load 500 S&W with 4227 that has used the data in the Hornady's 8th? I can only assume that the data works as the are no warnings on Hornady's site nor posted revisions? Butttttt you know what they say about assuming.

nhyrum

No one can, and no one will tell you they are safe. That's taking all liability on them.

Now. What you should have done, is load a few of each charge, starting at book minimum, and going to book max. Look vigilantly for ANY signs of over pressure and STOP.

Now for your situation. The only way to tell if they're "safe" is to shoot them. But the best way, is to pull the bullets, and start over. If you have questionable loads, don't shoot them. The bad thing about not starting at book minimum, is you have no idea how your gun will handle that load.

If you blow up your gun and hands, that's on you, and I guess it will be a hard lesson learned on where to start.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nick_C_S

Hornady 9th gives the same data 24.0gn to 33.3gn. OAL of 2.080."

You could always do a load work up (like you should do anyway) to your current charge level.

Last edited:

Xfire68

The reason I am questioning the load is because Hodgdon's website has a starting load 6 full grain above that in the Hornady manual. My loads (25.6g) are on the starting side of the load spectrum in the Hornady (Min 24g Max 33.3g) book but not even close on Hodgdon's site.

Nick_C_S

I'm not a 500 S&W Guru, btw. So my advice/information is generic in nature. Wish I had more.

I've been loading for 32 years. If I have a Hornady bullet; I reach for the Hornady manual. If the powder I want to use is among those listed for the bullet, then I'm going to use that data. At that point, it's not likely that I'll even look any further for data.

IMtheNRA

You're way below Hodgdon's data, but right in line with Hornady. If you followed directions and Hornady's data, I can't imagine any reason these loads would be unsafe.

50 shooter

I've been loading for the 500 for awhile now, if you follow published data you'll be fine. I get most of my data from www.loadswap.com and have always been good to go.

The thing that most reloaders know is that no two reloading manuals are the same. That's why people always say to start out low and work your way up. While doing so, always check for pressure signs like flattened primers, brass sticking, splits in your brass...

Be safe, have fun and post a range report when you get back.

Xfire68

Thanks again guys. Nick the main reason for the thanks was you posted the latest Hornady data which I would find strange if they have had the same data listed for a few years and it was unsafe. The 8th is the same data. It just put me at ease knowing it was still the same.

Thanks to the rest of you for the tips. I am not new to reloading by any stretch but, I don't load 500 S&W often (Once every couple years.) and that large difference in data had me concerned I overlooked something or they found a safety reason for changing the data.

I always load by the book except for my 10mm loads I use to do. :eek:

50 shooter

As far as loading for the 500 goes, let me save you some money. Don't bother with the 700 gr. bullets, stock twist isn't fast enough to fully stabilize them.

Personally I wouldn't go above 500 grain bullets now that I've learned of this. The 500 really likes 350 gr. bullets, mine likes to beat up on the 200 yard gong with them. The gong is only about 10" round but it's fun to watch the bullets ping off it.

Xfire68

I have had some good results shooting 350g and with Remington 385g Ultra JHP's using H110. I had some 4227 from loading 300BO and wanted to try it out.

They don't make the Remington 385g anymore so these are my last 100 loaded.

cryogenic419

Some things to keep in mind when wondering about the differences between Hornady's data vs Hodgdon's data:

Different firearms, one could be a test barrel fixture while the other is an actual gun. Even different guns could give different results A S&W X frame vs a Magnum Research BFR could give different enough readings to show that much of a difference in load data.

Components like brass and primers can have a huge impact on pressures and starting/max loads. Less internal case volume in one brand of brass while another brand is a bit more generous with internal volume. Different brands and type of primers (magnum/non magnum) can have an effect on pressures and starting/max loads.

As long as you stick to published loads and and start at the minimum and work up your load you should be fine.

Road_Clam

I checked my Hornady's 9th load data and it's the same as the 8th. I don't load for the 500 mag, but I do load for the 460 mag. Here's some close comparative data from my Lyman's 49th handbook :

500 gr jacketed fp

IMR 4227 start 29.7 @ 1246 fps

IMR 4227 max 33 @ 1384 fps

H110 or W296 are also excellent 460/500 magnum powders.

g.willikers

There are other factors than the amount of powder to consider.
Just remember to use the exact bullet as the load data sez and the recommended (never shorter) over all loaded cartridge length.
Bullets can be the same weight and still be too different for the same load data.
And never be tempted to get creative.
Like using use components that are "almost" the same as the reloading data.
Stick to the info as determined by the experts and you will not likely get into trouble.
Get a chronograph to help develop safe and predictable reloads, too.
There's no excuse anymore not to have one, as low priced as they now are.

Last edited:

buck460XVR

Hornady's data for many handgun calibers is anemic compared to Hodgdon's, even when using the same bullet. That does not mean either is unsafe. Just the opposite.

That said, IMR4227, while being an excellent powder for heavy bullets in magnum handgun cartridges, does not like to be loaded at the lower end of it's parameters. I find it performs best for me at just under max loads or slightly less than to slightly compressed, depending on caliber. It is my go to powder in .460. and .44 mag carbine loads. Odds are you will find a lot of unburned powder with your initial loads and my recommendation is to go up to at least 30gr. Generally, because of it's bulkiness, you cannot get enough powder in a handgun case to be dangerous with IMR4227. IMR4227 also likes a very firm crimp.

Since IMR4227 can be safely downloaded, the ammo you have loaded, while it may be dirty and not the most consistent, should be safe.

50 shooter

I picked up some 440 & 535 gr lead GC'd bullets from Matt's. The price was right so I'll load up a handful of each and see how they do. I've got a few different powders so I can see which one the 500 likes and then go from there.

I'll post the info here incase anyone else is interested in it and wants to try it out. I'll see if I can borrow a friends crony and I'll post that info, that and some pics of the groups. I'll see how they do against the 350gr Berry's bullets that I have loaded.