Hornady 45 cal 250 grain bullet

wvshooter

These are .452 diameter 250 grain XTP JHP bullets. I'd like to run them through a Taurus 24/7 Pro which has a 4.1 inch barrel.

Basically I just want to get rid of these at the range having learned that 230 grain or a little lighter and .451 diameter is normal for a 45acp pistol. My Hornady book shows these being used in cartridges other than 45acp.

What are some safe powders and loads I can use in my gun for this bullet?

Clark

I got 500 of those in 2004 for $32.60 from Midsouth, as blems.
I have been using them in 45 Colt with H110 in a Uberti Cattleman revolver and a Win 94 rifle.
I am at 21.4 kpsi in QL, which is really too much recoil in either, even with a big recoil pad on the rifle.

kerreckt

I wish I could add something, but I have a box of these and have wondering the same thing. I'm sure someone has tried them in a .45acp pistol

Mike / Tx

I have shot "some" 250 and 260gr cast RFN's, and HP's out of my 1911, but i have to tell you it isn't something you want to do on a regular basis unless you install buffers and a heavier spring. It really racks the slide good, and a steady diet probably isn't a good thing.

Ruger45LC

They'll work, I've used them a lot in .45 Super from a KKM G21 barrel and they shoot just fine even up to 1300 fps. The ACP would be no different although if your barrel doesn't have much leade (short throat) then you may have to seat past the cannelure on the bullet. With certain powders, like Power Pistol, it's possible to run 250's from a 5" .45 between 950-1000 fps.

wvshooter

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to chalk this up as a learning experience and forget running them through the Taurus. I'm more concerned about not damaging the gun than getting rid of the bullets. What is a Vaquero?

Kosh75287

I'D look around for a Speer Manual that gives data for their 260gr. .452 projectile, and use starting loads. Given their mass, I'd expect them to work wonderfully on bowling pins, if you compete in that. If not, try it sometime.

kerreckt

After reading this, I will put them up for trade on VAGT. Like to trade even for something more suitable. Thanks for replies.