Hornady 308 168 gn A_max

4runnerman

Hey all. Has anyone tried these 168 Hornady A-Max bullets yet ?. So far all im shooting is Serria 168's and 175's. I know my 223 loves the V-Max bullets. Tried many different Serria's in the 223 but non shot as good or accurate as the V-max did. Picked up a box today (168 A-Max) and wondering if anyone has a load to start on with them yet.

hagar

Yes, in my M1A with 41.5 grains of IMR 4895. They shoot better than the Noslers or Sierra 168's. Been a big fan of Hornady bullets for a long time, the 7mm 162 AMax bullet has almost no equal.

toolguy2006

4runnerman:

For what its worth: I have found that my Remington Model 7 seems to like the 168gr A-Max bullets much better that the Sierra 165 Game Kings that I tried. I haven't finished working up a final load, but my best groups so far were between 1.1 and 1.25 inches at 100 yards from the bench. The load was 168gr A-Max, 41gr IMR 4895, COL 2.8". Like I said, I haven't finished experimenting, but that is my rifle seems to like, so far.

One thing that I have noticed, is that the A-Max bullets seem to be more consistent that the Sierra's.

PawPaw

I like Hornady A-Max, I put them in the same category with Sierra Matchkings. They're very accurate and shoot very well in my rifles. I'm primarily a hunter, but use A-Max bullets for load development. Once I find a load my rifle likes, it's a simple matter to switch to Interlocks and I find that the two shoot very closely to the same point of aim.

A-Max bullets are great bullets.

wondering if anyone has a load to start on with them yet.

In .308 Winchester, try 43.0 grains of Reloder 15, with a WLR primer. I've found that load to be very consistent in every .308 I've fired it in. We've got four .308s in the family and that load consistently shoots MOA from all the rifles.

You didn't mention caliber, so if you're shooting a .30-06, try 49.6 grains of IMR4895 under that same bullet.

Last edited:

4runnerman

Thanks to all you guys. I don't hunt and im old and it's getting cold here. So i need to load up some and make sure my rifle likes them and then stock up all winter. Paw Paw--I also use RL-15 in my 308. I have not tried IMR 4895,but it keeps coming up all the time. I might have to get a LB and see how it goes.
One of the members in our shoots keyed me into RL-15 and i have been sold ever since on it. I do use CCI BR-2 Primers though. I was using GM210M for a long time and tried CCI for the heck of it. My groups tightened up very nice with just the primer change. Thanks again guys and i hope i can get one more weekend of nice wheather here to go test next weekend.

4runnerman

Hornady 168 A-Max worked like a dream guys. Very impressed with the results. Managed to do one ragged hole at 150 yards.Made up 20 different loads 5 rounds each. RL-15 and CCI primers won first place. Now i can put rifles away for the winter and start pilling up the bullets and primers for next year. Thanks to All who replied