Hornady 110gr V-Max in .300 Blackout

44 AMP

Staff
A friend asked this, and since its not my area of expertise, am looking for people who have experience to answer it.

In the .300 Blackout, does the 110gr VMax bullet act like a varmint bullet? Or at the approx. 2400fps MV of the Blackout, will it act like a controlled expansion bullet?? (and therefore useful for deer hunting??)

I know he should probably call Hornady and talk to them, and I will suggest this to him, but in the meantime, anyone have personal experience with this bullet in .300 Blackout?

44 AMP

Staff
I moved this thread in the hopes of getting some replies from the AR guys shooting .300 Blackout. Also talked to my friend, suggested he call Hornady. He was 6 minutes too late on Friday, so he'll be calling them to see what they say, on Monday.

random guy

I've never shot a living thing with these bullets although I do keep them in my house gun which is shorter barreled and pushing 2000 fps. I'd say they will hurt anything they hit very badly but that is not the same as quickly dispatching the critter.

For "Upper US" deer, I'd lean towards the Barnes TAC/TX or even more likely a bigger cartridge.

Sorry I don't have any actual results to share.

The Hornady gel photo looks like that load is a DRT hunting bullet for deer sized game and less. Permanent cavity and massive damage starting at about 3" and continuing for another 4-5".

Clone

I don't load for the 300 black, but have used this bullet a lot in 7.62x39 and 30-30. It does produce sub moa accuracy in both. How ever I would not use it on medium game unless its all I had, it just doesn't penetrate well enough for deer in my opinion. It is very effective on ground hogs and coyote though.

I have used 130gr and 150gr Hornady soft points to great effect though, leaves good blood trails to.

Mobuck

I shot a couple of the "Zombie" V-max from a 300AAC 16" carbine into water filled milk jugs @ 100 yards. Blew the first jug wide open but mostly fragments hit #2 so I'd say it's rapid expansion with too little penetration. If you could absolutely, positively guarantee hitting a deer broadside in the ribs, most likely it would be a quick kill-otherwise it's questionable IMHO.

Ibmikey

My biggest hog ever (350+ pounds) shot with a AAC Handi rifle in 300 Blackout at sixty yards. Supersonic 125 gr Sierra TNT ---one shot, he ran about sixty yards adn hit the ground dead. I had a shot into the front right quarter of chest and took out all of his mechanics.
I have used 110 gr VMax on pigs under 100# but much prefer 125 grain in the 300 Blackout..

Olympus

There is a 300 blackout group on Facebook where a lot guys are using the 110 vmax for deer. I remember seeing a lot of posts last fall with photos. Seemed to be doing a good job to me. I sold my 300 so I left the group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CombatDiver

Heck yeah, 110 grain 300 AAC Blackout does a great job. It's about the ideal weight bullet for supersonic in that caliber. I don't care to go over 125 grains for 300 AAC Blackout, but that's because the 110s work so well and I only get for 124 because they are cheap plinking projectiles.