Hornady 1-Shot & the 1911

mehavey

In another thread in another universe -- far, far away -- I was having a fit with a very light load
in the Gov't 1911 for the grandson.

Jammomatic
1911-45-ACP-PC-Bullseye-HG130-185gr-700fps.jpg

I was shooting it squeaky clean since I tend to keep oils & grease minimized as a rule,
but this was ridiculous. Even a 10# spring was too much.

Went back and read everything from everyone on lubing a 1911 -- oils, grease, ATF,
Lubriplate 130 and/or 105, 'special' 1911-only concoctions, mixes of oil/ATF/STP...
a drop here and smear there... precision lubrication-point pictures that made Alfred E. Neuman
with the measles look healthy.

Finally said the heck w/ it -- if it's good enough for my gas shotguns as an EZ spray-off-the-old/-
spray-on-the-new cleaner/lube/dry residual -- try it on the 1911.

The BLACK aerosol can, troops (Cleaner/Lube not (red) Case lube

Just sprayed everything down, inside/out, rails, springs, guide, barrel, collar... wiped off a ton
of soot w/ a paper towel and sprayed-on all clean again.

Dry 30 sec, reassemble, shoot.

Perfect functioning now with a 12# spring.

Hornady 1-shot continues to impress me as an increasingly do-all CLP from soup to nuts.
... and the #1 sliding-surfaces Lube King.
https://dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Last edited:
mehavey said:
Hornady Case Lube is different a product from the Cleaner/Lube.
You beat me to it.

Hornady sells several products under the One-Shot brand. If you want to report on one of them, please be specific which product you're talking about.

rodfac

There are far better lubes...and a 12# spring is pretty light even for tgt loads...16# is the standard. Ck. Kuhnhausen's 1911 MX manuals for details. Rod

mehavey

While there may be better lubes -- and better strategic application points -- I was looking for
a quick/simple deep-clean & slick-lube in 1-step leaving things dry.

Looking at the traditional Power Factor Charts, the ability to run 12# ain't bad for that 185gr/695fps (PF~130) load:

PF
191 - 16lb recoil spring (factory 45 load, 230@830)
179 - 15lb spring
167 - 14lb spring
155 - 13lb spring
143 - 12lb spring
131 - 11lb spring
119 - 10lb spring

The case lube is fantastic! Much better than using a pad. Easy to get into the mouth.

The cleaner/lube is a fantastic cleaner, not much of a lube. A Q-tip with motor oil always goes on my rails.

totaldla

Hornady one-shot case lube is a decent rust preventative - imo. I've used it to protect knives and pistols and it was super easy to apply and works. It smells like alox to me and alox is a very good long-term protectant.
And it works pretty good as a case lube.

totaldla

Sounds like a major hot mess lubricating a 1911 with Hornady One Shot. :eek:
That's because you've never used the stuff. You spray it on, the carrier evaporates, the alox-like stuff remains. You can spray it right over oily surfaces.
It is an adequate lubricant because pistols don't need much and the alox-like stuff stays where you put it.