Hoping to get started...

Indrid Cold

I'll preface this post by saying that I read the guide stickied at the top and I'm just hoping for a bit more information to get myself going.

So! Making my Christmas list about now and I figured a reloading kit would be a good thing to ask for. Priced ~$250 or less, sans components (I'll get those), and I'd like forum member input. Here's what I know I want to do...

1. I'll be reloading .223 and .308 - seriously doubt anything else, but *possibly* 30-06 later on...
2. I tend to shoot targets right now at varying ranges from ~50 yards out to around 150 yards. That being said, longer range shooting is anticipated for the future (once I find places to go) and I wouldn't rule out hunting as a future activity either.
3. Regarding quantity, when I go to the range I tend to go through about 120-210 rounds of .223 and roughly 60 rounds of .308.

I've saved all the brass from my .308 which has been South African surplus, Federal Gold Medal Match, and Hunting Shack Munitions. The .223 I was shooting off was having notable brass issues so I didn't bother saving it.

I guess what I would ask is what kit, given my circumstances/desires, would best suit me in the current price range? Also, what could I look at as far as future upgrades that would help me out? Thanks in advance!

Cheepshot

Same question

Same question, looks like RCBS is the best price zone, I could be wrong. Hoping someone will come up with some enlightenment.

McGlockster

Sevens

In my opinion, you don't gain a heckuva lot by going progressive or turret-style when handloading rifle ammo. In that regard, I would suggest starting single stage and worrying about higher production tools at a later date if you should decide to load handgun rounds. Afterall, a single stage press is really really cheap, will likely last almost forever, and you will always have a use for it, even if you buy a faster machine months or years down the road. Every bench can use a good, solid single press for any number of operations. So that's where I'd start.

I'm having a little trouble suggesting an actual kit to purchase, because it really comes down to what you want/need/are willing to spend. Seems like most of the kits offer pretty good deals, but they get awfully expensive if you choose one that includes a powder measure. And a powder measure ends up be a very necessary tool once you get rolling. A powder measure is a device that you set up to throw a consistent charge -- you check it's accuracy by weighing occasional cases, but you don't spend all afternoon spooning powder out of a cup, and then weighing each and every charge before you proceed.

I like the Lee Challenger Kit, but it would be a MUCH better deal if it cost $50 more and came with the Classic Cast rather than the Challenger press. I like the Lyman kit, and it seems like a reasonable deal for about $160, but doesn't have a powder measure. Same thing with the RCBS. The Hornady LnL kit is terrific stuff, but pricey.

When trying to stick under that $250 guideline, don't forget that none of these kits come with dies. Those are extra. Lee dies are the cheapest, but I've had great luck with them and it seems like most others do fine with them as well.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to build my own "kit" starting with the Lee Classic Cast press and see how that bottom line totals up. Heck, considering the Classic Cast is on Midway for around $70, I'd probably buy the Challenger Kit and the Classic Cast and get rolling that way. :)

CrustyFN

3. Regarding quantity, when I go to the range I tend to go through about 120-210 rounds of .223 and roughly 60 rounds of .308.
If you are shooting that much per month a single stage would be great. I am with Sevens and the Lee Classic Cast press. It is a very well built press for half the price of other brands. If you are shooting that much per week I would go with the Lee Classic Turret press. I have had one for a year and it has been a great press. I load 9mm and 223 on mine. It will load twice as fast as the single stage at a safe and comfortable pace.
Rusty

BigJimP

I would seriously recommend you consider the Dillon 550 at about $380 . It is progressive but it indexes manually ( vs automatically like the more expensive 650 ). Dies are sold separately though - so add another $ 125 for dies so I guess you're up to about $500 in reality. But you don't really want a single stage if you are shooting any quantity of .223 at all ( it'll drive you nuts ...).

jpdavis423

Amen to that

I started with a Lee kit and after about 200 rounds bought a Dillon. I like getting one shell per pull vs 4 pulls per shell with the turret.

Lee kit is for sale if anyone's interested.

Jeff

Linear Thinker

To start, you will need:

Press
Dies
Powder measure
Powder scale
Case lube

Lee is probably your best bet, their equipment is less expensive than other makes'. Lee includes shellholders with their die sets, to this day I can't figure out why the other makers don't.
I agree with the above comments re. the turret kit - don't bother. If you must go in that direction, spend a few more $$ and get a Dillon.
I like Lee's new cast press.

If you go with Lee dies, I recommend you get the Deluxe die set, it includes both collet and full-length sizers.
You should be able to get all of the above for less than $250 at Midway.

Other needs and considerations:
Sturdy bench - you probably have that already.
Caliper and micrometer are highly recommended.
I don't like priming in the press - Lee hand primer is much faster and is not expensive.
Case trimmer is highly recommended, you will need it. Lee makes an inexpensive caliber-specific trimmer.
LT

FALPhil

Linear Thinker wrote:If you must go in that direction, spend a few more $$ and get a Dillon.

Or even better, a Hornady Lock-n-Load progressive. It's priced like a Dillon 550, but has all the features of a Dillon 650.

shepherddogs

RCBS Turret. Leave your rifle dies set up and spin the turret to your next caliber. Just change shellholders. Very sturdy press and extra turrets are reasonable.