HOORAY! I got my C&R today!

Rome

I got my C&R in today's mail along with the "latest (1999)" catalogue from BATF for what's available under the C&R lic. I'm looking forward to purchasing some of the WWII rifles, primarily semi-auto versions. The MAS 49 is one I'll be searching for along with the Hakim. If you're interested in old firearms, I'd recommend getting your own C&R. For $30 bucks for three years, it's worth eliminating the headache of always finding a local FFL.

Rome

Rome

If you're intereted in obtaining older firearms (50+ years in most cases) than a C&R is for you. All you do is fill out a form, attach $30, and sent it into the BATF. In about 3 weeks, after they've checked you out, they'll send you a license to purchase Curios and Relics directly and anywhere in the country. The C&R also eliminates having to use an FFL to purchase qualified firearms any longer.

If you're interested in reading about the C&R, go to the BATF website and click under firearms. There you'll find the C&R infor along with the latest application. You'll send the completed app to Dallas Texas. One copy also goes to your local police chief. That's all there is to it.

I don't plan on selling anything I purchase so the paperwork will be zero.

I've already picked out a couple of new aquisitions and hope I can hide them in my monthly budget. I guess I'll have to give up cigars!

Rome

Cliff

Congrats!

Rome - Welcome to the world of type 03 FFL holders!

I've had mine for a little over a year now and it cetainly has come in handy.

You may want to send a copy of your license to Brownells. If you do so, they'll set you up with a trade discount.

My guess is, you'll want to save all of the money you can and apply it to acquisitions. ;)

Have fun!

Cliff

Rome

I decided a while ago that I'd like to initially collect semi-auto WWII rifles. There really weren't that many as most of the rifles were bolt action. Semi auto, like the M1, was a tough sell. Most countries only had two or three models to select from and most of them are still available, usuable, reliable, and fairly cheap unless you get into pristine stuff or limited run rifles. I'm going to start with an MAS 49 which I happen to think is a handsome rifle. Then we'll see where we go next. The important thing is that I don't want to collect a bunch of "hanger queens" for display. Each rifle will be fully functional and I'll have the ammo and know the history. It will be fun! I may have to wait until my last kid gets through college before really getting into this but all good things come to those who wait!

Rome

Bruegger

No paperwork?

Are you sure about that? I thought you needed to maintain a log book and were subject to audits of the logs.

Rome

Sure I'll keep a log but at least I won't have to complete all the forms in triplicate in front of the dealer anymore. And, I'll be able to purchase from anyone, and not just my own state. (At least I think that's right...right?)

R

2shots

Fax a copy of your license to Midway and they'll start sending you their dealer catalog. The C&R is kind of an NPR thing: Never pay retail. Also, C&R license holders do not have to surrender their book if they choose to let their license expire. And a tip: Many C&R holders go nuts the first year, buying all sorts of military junk just because they can and later don't know what to do with the stuff. Focus on quality weapons and you'll have lots of fun.