Homemade gun (pic heavy)

spacecoast

Bought some ammo from a friend of mine today who was selling it for a neighbor, and he showed me a gun his neighbor's deceased father made at some time in the past. I've never seen anything like this, and thought the pics might interest someone.

It appeared to be about .45 caliber, with some rifling visible in the barrel, which was about 8" long. Everything appeared to be homemade, including the hacksaw blade that appears to be used to hold in the (missing) magazine. It's a heavy beast, 8-10 pounds estimated.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or is it a completely original design?

IMG_1188800x600_zps6ed4be47.jpg

IMG_1191800x600_zps075f4b94.jpg

IMG_1190800x600_zpsdd2100a1.jpg

IMG_1193600x800_zpsbb5e3aba.jpg

IMG_1192800x600_zps2b5a24cd.jpg

Joe_Pike

That looks like a visit from your friendly BATFE just waiting to happen. I believe I would find the closest band saw and dumpster available and use them. YMMV.

Peter M. Eick

Its a modification of the old ww2 grease gun in 45 acp. I forget the model number but do a search on 45 and grease gun and you will find it.

Dirty Dan

Homemade gun

The US Govt made them by the thousands back in WWII. All parts, save the bolt & barrel were of stamped sheet metal..Also think, if memory serves me right, was designed by a GM Auto Worker, back when people were urged to use their creative potential. The guy got nothing $$wise, except the warm feeling that he made a direct contribution to defeating the Axis of Evil..Gentlemen, I present the now rare, M-3 sub machinegun (AKA the greasegun). Now, make it disappear b/4 you know who, knocks on the door!!.

dave9969

I really doubt that artifact could fire spitballs at this point
and would hardly rate a BATF visit unless you were doing something stupid with it.
Heirloom weapons are typically wall hangers and that one, I wouldnt even want in my house its so ugly.

BillM

From what I can see, it looks like the barrrel/nut and the bolt are from
a M3 greasegun. The receiver, magwell, grip and trigger mechanism
are home-made. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like it's designed
as full auto, fired from an open bolt.

Get rid of it. You may think it's a piece of junk--but BATFE is going
to classify it as a homebuilt machine gun--and that's a 10 year
vacation at club Fed.

AK103K

The easiest way to confirm if it is FA, is to cock it, pull the trigger, and continue to work the charging handle back and forth. If its SA, it will cock/lock back, and stop, and you'll have to pull the trigger again to release the bolt/hammer again. If its FA, the bolt will go back and forth until the trigger is released.

Home made guns are not illegal, but they may still bring you grief, especially if its an open bolt gun. They pretty much frown on them anymore, due to the ease of converting them.

If the gun "can be made" to fire more than one round with one pull of the trigger, you'd best get rid of, or destroy it.

TXAZ

I understand it belonged to your friends dad, but you provided a lead to a *possible* crime. You should expect contact from los Federales, who will probably ask about what you know about this weapon and where it is at.

They do watch gun and other boards, believe it or not some people post comments, links and videos to felonious activities.

Have fun.

spacecoast

Thanks for all the replies, out of what is probably an overabundance of caution I am going to take down the pics. If anyone would like to see them I can send via PM.

I will also recommend to my friend that he recommend to the owner of the gun that it be disposed of properly.

BillM

If you look close at the pic of the barrel end, you can see it's
stamped MARLIN. That's a bit interesting. Marlin only
made the M2 for a year or so before it was replaced by
the GM produced M3.

Lost Sheep

BillM said:
If you look close at the pic of the barrel end, you can see it's
stamped MARLIN. That's a bit interesting. Marlin only
made the M2 for a year or so before it was replaced by
the GM produced M3.
I wonder if it might have collector value?

Probably not, but if it is one survivor of a manufacturer who made only very few, maybe.

spacecoast said:
I will also recommend to my friend that he recommend to the owner of the gun that it be disposed of properly.
Anyone know for sure the proper way to dispose of this? I have read that, since the BATFE has no mandate to prosecute innocent possessors of inherited items (as long as they don't keep them overlong, or use them), they accept turn-ins without risk of prosecution.

I have not verified this advice.

I would hate to think I destroyed a piece of history that deserves a place in a museum (even if it might be a BATFE museum.) As long as it does not make a detour through an evidence locker first.:eek:

Lost Sheep

spacecoast

Responded to a couple of pic requests...

Can anyone comment on the legality of keeping just the bolt and the barrel, or, keeping the pieces after sawing the receiver in half between the magazine well and trigger?

Addendum... It looks as if there is a requirement to use a torch to cut the receiver into three pieces. Hmmmm...

I did a little more research on the Inland-Hyde M2 (pictured below) and the M3, and it appears that Marlin had the initial contract for the M2, however, it looks nothing like the gun I saw, which bears a much stronger resemblance to the M3.

Interestingly enough, the M2 was initially developed at Inland Corp. in Dayton, Ohio (GM parts maker), for which my father worked in the 70s and early 80s.

M2 Hyde

HydeInlandM2.jpg

M3 Grease Gun

300px-M3-SMG.jpg

Last edited: