Home made primer pocket uniformer

wncchester

Any efforts to "clean/uniform large or small primer pockets" with a drill bit are doomed to failure by serious damage to the pockets.

bigfoot

Primer pocket uniformers are the exact shape of the primer pocket, flat bottom. A drill bit is tapered, I'm a believer in the right tool for the right job.

webby4x4

The only "bit" that you could get away with is an "end mill" bit (which is flat at the bottom), and it's more expensive than the actual tool you can buy. Most, good-quality mill bits will set you back $40 or more. Plus, a mill bit would require some type of handle be attached too - so it's kind of pointless to go that route. A primer pocket tool is approx $10.

Lunicy

You could use the wrong end of the drill bit (the non-cutting end) but I state again, the proper tool is dirt cheap. Are you trying to remove a crimp with said tool?

wncchester

"yea, clean up crimp I swage with the RCBS tool."

Then I'm really confused. The RCBS swage tool is specifically made to remove GI crimps but that is an entirely seperate task from the original question of "uniforming" primer pockets. ??

hornady

Then I'm really confused. The RCBS swage tool is specifically made to remove GI crimps but that is an entirely seperate task from the original question of "uniforming" primer pockets. ??

Now I’m confused The RCBS swag uniforms the pocket, and removes the Mil, crimp without cutting base metal, If you mean clean primmer pockets, RCBS makes primer pocket brushes in Large and small that I put in a cheap wal-mart keyless chuck drill for about $15.00. It dose a great job and is fast

ForneyRider

LC, WCC, and PMC brass I run through the RCBS swager twice. I run the brass around to pry it off, and I still get about 10-20% that won't fit a primer.

So I was hoping the right bit would clean it up. Yep, I have a Redding tool on the wish list. Just waiting for enough to get in stock to submit the order.

Ruger4570

I have used my RCBS tool to work on the primer pocket of close to 5,000 223 cases. I never had a problem. Maybe you should call or contact RCBS customer service. In 50 years of reloading I have NEVER had a problem they wouldn't make good.

hornady

One thing I picked up on in your reply. You said you run them around. When I got my RCBS swag I am pretty shore they said. To be used in a single stage press. I like a lot of other guys have A single stage press set up on my bench for the odd jobs. If you are all ready doing this and can’t get it to work for you. Call RCBS tech support. They are great people. And very willing to help.

ForneyRider

This is a single stage Lee press.

I twist the brass around to make the swage more. Obviously not a consistent process, but these are my plinkers. The finished primer pocket tends to run very tight.