Home made gongs.

Chuck Dye

I have acquired a number of 9x5/8 inch steel rounds, cutouts from a fabrication project. I plan to turn them into gongs by attaching chain at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, and have a couple of questions. I can drill holes and use shackles or weld the chain to the rounds. Welding to the edge of the round or drilling perpendicular to the surface will hang the gong more or less vertically. Welding to the back of the round or drilling at an angle will tilt the gong. Tilting the gong slightly, so that it faces the shooters' feet rather than their muzzles, will only marginally reduce the shootable view of the gong and should, at least slightly, reduce splatter and ricochet in unhappy directions. Anyone have any experience with welds vs shackles or vertical vs tilted? The gongs will be placed at roughly 100 and 150 yards, shot at with .30-06 and lesser power rounds.

Moderators: A move and a short lecture will be welcome if deemed needed. Thanks.

bernie

I have some gongs that I have used in a similar manner. What works best for me is welding some nuts onto the back side of the gong and hanging them with string. Sooner or later you will hit the chain with a round and the chain will break. If you hit the string (ok, parachute cord) all you have to do is tie it back together or get another piece of string. I do not know what kind of steel that you have, but .30-06 at 100-150 yards is going to be devastating to the gong. You might want to do it at 200+ yards, if your range is long enough.

Jeeper

You really need to use either AR plate or T3, T520 for rifle stuff. otherwise it will get really beat up. I have made various gongs andeither went with a pipe inside a pipe welded to the gong or with a hook that went around a horizonatal pole. This way you can take the gongs off for transport. If that made no sense let me know

gordo b.

I hung 3 18" disc harrow discs by old winch cable by throwing over hillside from stake HA VE BEEN SHOOTING THEM FOR 12 YEARS without problem 250 yards distant.

yankytrash

Heed bernie's advice. I've welded together many a shadey contraption for range use, and replaceability is the key to the success of any such devices.

Redlg155

The gongs we have at the range are pretty much riddled with holes. You would be amazed at how a bullet zips through the thick steel, so yep, ease of replacement is a must.

Old scuba air tanks are also great fun to shoot. They don't last that long, but make a nice sound and are a lot of fun to shoot.

Good Shooting
RED