Home made caps with Tap O Cap

Deltadart

Has anyone tried to make caps using the Tap O Cap device and 32 ga. copper sheeting. I made 50 caps using aluminum soda pop can material and the primer mixture from Sharpshooters .22 LR reloading kit. The caps work well but the aluminum is not durable enough and it blows the center out of everyone of them on a Seneca .36 caliber rifle, using 35 grains of Pyrodex P and patched round ball.

Pahoo

My SWAG

The caps work well but the aluminum is not durable enough and it blows the center out of everyone of them
Neve thought about it but when I check my commercial caps, they are pretty much, blown apart, in different ways. Sometime they stack up, inside the hammer cup and I have to pick them out. The commercial caps have ribbed skirts that are meant to open up and come loose.

Now, is it possible your Snap-O cap is stressing or scoring your caps and thinning the material at the hole location? I have not used my Snap-O can since the late 80's. There are times when I print my deactivated commercial caps, to check the contact points. I do note that the strike area material gets hammered thinner at the contact rim. I do not question, your shot-string. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

51colt

you can use thin copper or brass with your tap o cap. You can use one or two toy caps in your homemade caps and charge your nipple with black powder using a Tresco nipple charger. Mix acetone and Duro glue and put a drop over the caps push the caps together in the glue using an 1/8 Allan screwdriver bit.

Last edited: