Home defense without electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillCA

Okay y'all. Interesting news.

The basic question here is what are your plans for home defense in the event of a major power outage? When I say major, I'm talking a grid outage that spreads across several states. No phones, no lights, cell-towers go offline after 8-24 hours.

Here's the story that sparked the question: Solar Tsunami to Strike Earth

The sun is waking from a dormant period and this may be a first, "small" flare. Larger flares have been known to knock out power grids in the northern latitudes down into the northern tier states.

I'd think that you'd want to select a firearm & ammo combination with a low muzzle flash for defense. What would you suggest?

I don't have visions of folks sitting up in their upstairs windows cradling an M1 with a battery spotlight handy. I'm thinking common sense things like how to identify people near your home (or neighbor's) without exposing yourself. Probably just as important, detecting people where they're not supposed to be -- side/back yards, fence-lines, etc.

From the story:
Earth is bracing for a cosmic tsunami Tuesday night as tons of plasma from a massive solar flare head directly toward the planet.

The Sun's surface erupted early Sunday morning, shooting a wall of ionized atoms directly at Earth, scientists say. It is expected to create a geomagnetic storm and a spectacular light show -- and it could pose a threat to satellites in orbit, as well.

"This eruption is directed right at us and is expected to get here early in the day on Aug. 4," said Leon Golub of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. "It's the first major Earth-directed eruption in quite some time."

Click for larger NASA image

Click for larger NASA image

Crosshair

First step. Barricade doors in addition to locks. Make sure windows are secured.

Gun and ammo? I would probably use my Ruger PC-9 with a 20 round magazine with a HP bullet I know is reliable. Pistol caliber carbines may not be as powerful as something in .223, but they have less muzzle flash and less noise. It doesn't matter how powerful your gun is if you can't see what you are shooting at after the first shot.

For people passing through the property, leave them alone if they are just passing through. No phones means no backup so don't start anything if you don't have to. Take measures to make the property unattractive to cross at night during the day.

For Flashlights, I have several Nightstar 3 lights. These are quality shake flashlights that give an honest 20 minutes of usable light and are completely waterproof. Everyone who is serious about SHTF perpetration should have at least one.

NightStar3NewOnClouds.jpg

Yes they are kinda bulky, yes they aren't the brightest, but they require absolutely no batteries whatsoever. You can have a blackout for a month and not have to worry about light. You can lave them sit on your desk for years at a time then pick it up, shake for a minute, and have enough light to function. Of course have some conventional lights as well.

2cooltoolz

You mean like any city along the Gulf coast after a hurricane? Candles, generators, bottle water, cans of gas, propane tanks, hundreds of batteries, hand crank radio with led lamp, screwed down windows and door jams, dogs.
First aid kits with lots of bandages, alcohol, antibiotics. Canned goods stocked up in the storage closet.
Firearms of several types, cases of ammunition.
Summer in Houston.

Yep, I'm ready.

Dave R

The best early-warning/burlar alarm system requires no electricity. Just some kibble and some affection. A dog.

Dwight55

As a pastor first, survivalist second, . . . manning the home fort is project number one. There will be people come here, with needs, with hopes, and with wants.

We'll do what we can with what we have, . . . and rely on the Lord Jesus Christ to do the rest. It's worked through 3 tours in RVN, 17 yrs total military, and purty near 66 years puttering around here on terra firma.

Why mess with a good thing?

May God bless,
Dwight

Hook686

Solar powered motion detection lights seem like a good idea, as does solar powered battery rechargers. Gasoline fired stove goes well also. Food, water, clothing, shelter, a source of energy and the means to defend it strike me as the most essential.

troy_mclure

ive got a few of those solar powered yard lights.

replace the battery with a good energizer rechargeable and they last 8-10hrs.

i used them after hurricane Gustav to light the living room, which would have back lit any intruders comming down the hallway.

also my cx4 has a m3 streamlight on it, and most powder is burnt by the time the bullet leaves the barrel, so almost no muzzle flash.

Sport45

You might be surprised just how well you can see outside with only the ambient light, night or day. I was a Scoutmaster in my former life and had a lot of trouble convincing boys that a flashlight really doesn't help when walking roads or trails at night. With a flashlight you only see what the beam illuminates. With your night vision (not NVG) you can see pretty much everything around you.

Skans

Lots of canned and packaged food. Generator. Wood Stove. Portable solar panels for recharging electronic devices. Candles. Lighters. Some form of rechargeable flashlight. Best if you are on well-pump and septic.

High powered .22 pellet gun, lots of pellets and spare seal kit. Handgun - your choice; shotgun - your choice; and rifle - your choice. Lots of ammo.

Small, efficient A/C unit to cool one room in your house / cabin - can be made to run on car battery with an inverter. Have solar pannels to recharge car batteries.

One SUV. One dirt bike. One bicycle. Lots of gas. FYI - dirt-bike is going to be your most efficient mode of transportation - bicycle and walking require fuel of the edible kind.

Don P

Lucky we are here. One of the IDPA matches here in FLA is indoors and they do a few stages each match in low light or no light. A great way to practice using a flash light.

Evan Thomas

Some us will be happily outside, admiring the Aurora Borealis, after a stop at the supermarket to pick up some ice.

Just another SHTF scenario, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.