Home Defense Shotgun

Dirty_Harry

I have been looking for a home defense/tactical shotgun for a while.

My buddy purchased a Benelli M4 over the weekend and it is awesome. I just don't want to spend $1400 on a SHOTGUN.

My first thought was an 870 marine magnum.

Gimme your alls thoughts.

Dfariswheel

The only thing to keep in mind about the Magnum Marine is, it's SHINY. As in "shines like a new dime".

This might not be the best choice for either a defense gun or a match gun due to excessive light reflection.

A possible better option is the same basic gun in a satin blue/black finish.

The Express Synthetic 18" comes with standard or extended magazine, and costs appreciably less than the bright and shiny nickel plated Magnum Marine.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_18inch.asp

For a perfect "in between" price gun between the Express and the Benelli, is the top-of-the-line in pump defense guns, the Remington 870P Police shotgun.

These have a wide variety of options in sights and stocks, and come with a military-grade parkerized finish.

Most any good Remington factory authorized FFL dealer can special order one for you.
http://www.remingtonle.com

For an idea on pricing, here's two online sellers:
http://www.capoliceequip.com/
http://www.impactguns.com/store/

FLA2760

Re Shotgun For home

Hi
I have a Mossberg 500 pump and I am pleased with it. It is the blued model I bought it new in the mid 80s...no problems.:cool:

Petre

The only thing to keep in mind about the Magnum Marine is, it's SHINY. As in "shines like a new dime".

This might not be the best choice for either a defense gun or a match gun due to excessive light reflection.

I don't know about older versions of the Marine Magnum , but mine has a satin finish. It's bright silver in color but not very reflective at all.

Blackwater OPS

Get the 870 Marine Magnum, it's the best home defense shotgun you can buy IMO. Here is a pic of mine, do you think shinyness is a problem?:D

436631743_l.jpg

OneInTheChamber

As in "shines like a new dime".

HEY, the BG would probably appreciate that the last thing he'll ever see was nice and shiny!

Fremmer

For home defense? Don't worry about whether it is shiney or not. If a criminal sees that shiney shotgun, all the better. :D

I would consider a used Mossberg, Remington, or Winchester. I don't think that I'd spring for the Marine model, especially for a gun that is intended to be kept inside the house.

'75Scout

My 30 year old 870 Wingmaster is set up for HD. It has a 18.5" barrel with rifle sights and is blued steel. I have a knoxx compstock and hogue forearm, but want a Surefire forearm. I also have a Mesa Tactical 4 shot shell holder. I'm dropping it off at a nearby custom shop for a ceramic coating. Great gun, action is smooth as butter. Can't beat the older guns.

Sun Tzu

20ga Winchester

Brother,

I love my 20ga Winchester model 1300 Defender speed pump. Its awesome, easy to accessorize, lightweight, hicapacity and ruggedly made. It'll do the job just fine...

I'd rather have a gun and not need it. Than need a gun and not have it. Christian Slater "True Romance"

LAte, S Tzu

Invicta

The Benelli Nova Pump Tactical is only $300-$350 brand new. Plus you can shoot 3.5" shells out of it, something you can't do with the Rem. 870, Win 1300, or Mossberg 500.

Attachments

• defense-nova-large.jpg
    defense-nova-large.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 119

Glockamolie

I have a Winchester 1200 Defender 7-shot that I bought for $125 out the door from a gun show. There was a whole rack of 'em; they were trade-ins from a Sheriff's Dept. I got one that was marked for the Jail Division, so it saw a lot of carry duty, but probably doesn't have very many rounds through it. I don't feel undergunned with it at all.

Widder

My personal favorite is the Winchester 1300 Defender in 12g. Feels, handles and looks the best, for me. If you're lucky, you can snap up an American-made one now, before they'll switch production to Japan, in March. Big5 has them on sale right now for $279, but they've had a run on them, so you may have a hard time finding one.