Home Defense/ Carry Revolver

meat

Hello to all in the revolver forum. I'm mostly a semi-auto guy (Please don't stop reading die hard revolver gurus!!), but I've been eying a revolver as a good home defense gun. I've decided on a .357 mag although I plan on using .38 +p for defense purposes. I would like this gun to be accessible for my significant other to use as well. She wants to learn to shoot, but doesn't want her own gun. I'm choosing a revolver because it's simpler to learn, and if a round should be a dud, all she has to do is pull the trigger again. I plan on teaching her thoroughly and going to practice w/ her on a regular basis until she is comfortable and has shown her proficiency. The Gun I'm looking at is a Ruger GP 100 3" model. It seems to have most of the characteristics I'm looking for and appears to have a good weight and size ratio for her hand and for recoil absorbtion. Does anyone have any experience w/ this gun or are there other suggestions that may be better? After I move out of this state, I may use this gun for carry, so future carry considerations are also part of the determining factor. If this Gun is to big, I may move to it's smaller brother, the SP 101 3". Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice.

GunsnRovers

SP101

I think, based on your post, that the SP101 would be the way to go.

Not as heavy or bulky as the GP and I think it feels better in my hands. It's more then adequate to handle hot home defense .38 loads.

As one of your conditions was that it's for your SO, I would take your SO down to the gun shop and help you make the decision.

Jeff

Brad Johnson

Why not one of each?

With a little patience you should be able to find a good used GP100 and SP101 for around $200-$250 each. Why not buy one of each. The GP100 would be your "house gun" and the SP101 you could carry.

Brad

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Also, a good used 4" barrel S&W model 19 or 66 would
cover all those bases really well.:) :cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

alamo

How about a S&W model 65 Lady Smith?, has a 3" barrel too. That's what I got for my wife. The S&W Model 60 w/ 3" barrel would be a good choice too. The Ruger you mention are good choices too, can't go wrong either way.

Rob96

I am a strong proponent of the Ruger DA revolvers. My House gun is a Ruger KGP-141, and except for when I am at work the gun I always have with me is my SP101. Great defensive revolvers.

Hal

I personally won't ever trust another Ruger product again. I seem to have an inordinate amount of problems with Ruger stuff. The extractor on my Mark II broke this past weekend and was the final straw of a list of petty but stopping breakages/stoppages I've had with Rugers.
:(

Older Smith Model 19's have done right by me, so I'll go along with Ala Dan here.

tonyz

The rugers will do you fine, I would suggest that both of you handle the GP-100 and the SP101 for fit and feel, then get the
one that fits you both like best.
As far as ammo goes I like the 158Gr LSWC+P or what I belive they call the FBI load.

Good Shooten,

Tony

Jato

I used to own a SP-101. It did not feel right in my hand. I prefer S&W J frames. I sold it.

I have S&W J-K-L-N frames. Love em!

I did buy a Ruger GP-100 six inch a while back. Great gun. I just picked up a new three inch GP for the wife. I just picked it up last week and I have not shot it yet. I like having the extra round and it fits my hand better than the SP.

I don't like the new S&Ws. They have a hole in the side of the frame. The hole is for the internal lock which is used to render the gun "safe".:barf:

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Sure hard to beat the older S&W revolvers - - -

And, unless you want to shoot a lot of heavy loads, the K-Frames are just superb.

If adjustable sights are a factor, the Model 19 or 66 are great. For somewhat less money, the models 13 and 65 are extremely satisfactory, and have the added benefit of being really rugged. No adjustable sights to knock out of position.

(Has anyone else ever noticed how adjustable sight DA revolvers are like a cat always landing on its feet? S&W, Colt, Ruger, whatever--dropped from any height, from any position, the revolver always manages to land on the rear sight.;) )

And my standard benediction, mean - - -I hope you enjoy your DA revolver(s) as much as I have mine.

Best,
Johnny Guest

Eric Larsen

For what you need it for now and the possibilities of carry...Id honestly get the SP101 3" 357. Its a perfect blend of size, barrel length and strength. It makes a great IWB carry.....My Don Hume IWB # 715 holster is made for a 3" barrel and puts the gun at a perfect ht. for 4.00 or Cross Draw for driving.......Nice holster and was very very reasonable. Shoot well

Attachments

• 101hume.jpg
    101hume.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 91