Home defense ammo recommendation

starship

Springfield XD-9. Recently started keeping it loaded (in a handgun safe) by the bed. Currently just using the same ammo that I practice with at the range. Cheap Remington and Whinchester, 115gr.

I know that there are better recommendations for a home defense situation. I have been considering the Hornady Critical Defense for at home.

Any suggestions or recommendations??

Brian48

I used Remington 124gr +P GS and Winchester 124gr +P PDX1s with my Beretta 91fs, but primarily because what's what was available on the shelf when I bought my SD ammo. From what I've read, they seem to perform as well as the other high-end JHPs.

Taurus_9mm

I'm another who likes the Speer Gold Dots for the 9mm, preferably in the 124 gr. weight for me. There are a number of good choices out there however and I'd be just as happy with any of those if the Gold Dots weren't available. :D

tjhands

The following are, as far as I know, the ONLY 9mm Luger rounds that meet the FBI's requirements:

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

The following are, as far as I know, the ONLY 9mm Luger rounds that meet the FBI's requirements:

Which is great, if you think you'll have to be shooting through walls or automobile glass in your home defense handgun. :rolleyes:

OTOH, all are excellent rounds.:cool:

tjhands

Which is great, if you think you'll have to be shooting through walls or automobile glass in your home defense handgun.

Deride if you must, but if you have a better list of ammo that adheres to certain strict qualifications, please let it be known.

Like it or not, the FBI tests are still the unquestionable benchmark for JHP performance.

BGutzman

Speer Gold Dots, generally hold together better than sabers and less likely to over penetrate like DPX. (Although I do love the DPX I feel where I live the population is too dense to safely carry DPX for most circumstances).

Elvishead

Hard to beat the Gold Dot's for the money if you can find them in 50rd box's not the 20rd.

Other that that any good HP, even Winchesters IMHO.

imthegrumpyone

First get it out of the safe, that's all you need in the middle of the night when you heart's pumping a mile a minute, your mind is in blast off mode, is to be fiddling around with a locked up gun. Second, you need only two kinds of ammo, FMJ for range and which ever HP you desire. I like Hydra-Shocks don't think it really matters when you come down to the nitty gritty of it all, it's going to all come down on how you keep your cool when something happens. ;)

softmentor

Another vote for Hydro-shock. You definitely want to use a hollow point for home defense. Also, a little training is worth a lot more than the best round out there. Do NOT do it like the movies.
stay safe

tjhands

I have no idea why Hydra-Shocks still have such a following. They are an old design and many better bullets have come down the pike in the past 20 years.

I'm not saying that they're useless junk but if there are other rounds out there that have proven themselves superior to the HS, why not buy them instead?

jborushko

i would carry HST in 9mm if i could find it out here- its what i carry in my 1911s

so what i carry is either:

Magtech Guardian Gold
Hornady Critical Defense 115gr
Remington +P Golder Saber
Winchester Ranger +P+ 127gr
Winchester Ranger Elite 147gr

i know its all over the place, but my different 9mm like different rounds... normally i carry a PF9 as a back up or a CZ2075RAMI. or if i go full size a 5906

-but generally a 1911 with HST 230gr is for me