Home defense ammo for P7M8 and P226 (9mm)?

Rob96

Currently in my S&W 9mm I am using Triton Hi Vels in 125gr. +p loading, for warmer seasons I use the 115 gr loading. You could also try the Remington Golden Sabers, Federal Hydra Shok, and Speer Gold Dots.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. In +P, I'd go with Triton 115 gr HPs or their 115 gr QuickShok or CorBon's 115 gr JHP. In standard pressure loads, Federal's 115 gr JHP or their 124 gr. Nyclad HP seem to be at the head of the class. I've also had good results with Remington's 115 gr +P JHP.
Best.

jwong

In my P7M8 (for a defense load), I use Proload's 124 gr. +P Gold Dot... Works great in my gun - accurate, low flash, reliable...

damiano

In my 226 I carry 127 grain Hydrashocks. Then I fill in the hollow cavity with mercury fulminate and cap it with wax.

Just kidding about the mercury.
Hydras or Golden Sabres are very reliable out of a 226.

FireForged

As always you must test the ammo yourself to make sure it is reliable in your pistol. It seems that 2 identical pistols can often have different tastes. Below are some that have worked well for me.
(Premium)9mm
1. Federal 115 JHP
2. Federal 124 Hydra-shok
3. Speer Gold Dot(standard pressure)
4. All Speer TMJ's

(Target)9mm
1. Winchester FMJ "White"
2. UMC FMJ
3. PMC FMJ

Big Dave

Thanks Guys,

I didn't really have a choice today so I picked up a box of the Speer Gold Dot 124gr. for $27 something.

I'll give them a try.

With time I'll check out the other suggestions.

Have a safe new year.

Dave

Tony III

I used to carry124 gr. Speer Gold Dots but I had problems with bullet setback after chambering a round just a few times. I swiched to Rem. Golden Sabers (124 gr. +P) they have a very thick jacket & can take many repeated chamberings without the bullet budging at all. If like me, you can't find or afford Win.127 gr. +P+ STX, then the 124 gr. +P Golden Sabers may be your best bet. Whatever you choose shoot as much as you can afford to,(1-200 rounds) in each gun before trusting your life to it. Personally I've found that to keep the point of impact about the same it's useful to match the bullet weight of my carry ammo with what I use for practice.

[This message has been edited by Tony III (edited January 05, 2000).]

TVN

If you can get 147 or 127gr ranger SXT that would be what I would use.If you can`t get those 124 or 147gr Gold Dots would be the way to go.

Tecolote

I like Federal and Black Hills 115 grs JHP. Both have functioned 100% in a P226 and P228. As well they're relatively economical price allows for more practice. As others have said make sure the ammo you choose cycles reliably in your pistols.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.