Home defense 5.56/.223 ammo

odugrad

For a long time I've carried and relied on a 9mm pistol for home defense. But in the last couple years I've spent much more time shooting and equipping my rifles.

I hear a lot about "overpenetration" worries when it comes to a rifle, particularly in a neighborhood setting. Do any of you guys use an AR for home defense? If so, what ammo do you use?

Sharkbite

For years i used a 223 AR as my HD long gun. I use a AR still, but in a different caliber.

In 223 i loaded Hornady 55gn TAP. If you are running a 16” or longer barrel, any of the lighter ballistic tip type ammo will penetrate LESS then 9mm ammo will. The high velocity combined with fragile LIGHT bullet construction leads to the bullet breaking up and stopping sooner.

Those bullets are also VERY destructive on thin skinned, light boned animals (humans).

bfoosh006

A known to fragment designed bullet will help with over penetration concerns.
TMK, certain SP's will have limited penetration.

What barrel length matters as well... higher velocities will alter bullet performance... specifically penetration depths.

Do not use FMJ bullets... they are heavily yaw dependent, so penetration can vary dependent on the angle of impact... IE sometimes they yaw early, and fragment sooner then the next round that happens to impact at less yaw.... basically a FMJ wasn't designed to consistently fragment.

Other more modern .224 bullets are far more predictable fragmenter's

So , telling us your barrel length will help with your choices.

"The Chopping Block" You tube page has a TON of ballistic gel tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZwrv3LZIs&list=PL4bt-Jy7IRR7tniDtIaiu9ErDaZdHGjME&index=1

ms6852

Hornady 75. grain BTHP, 20 gauge 00, .45 acp, .357 magnum, I am not worried about over penetration because if I need to defend my home there are more immediate issues I need to deal with first.

jmr40

A 223 will penetrate building materials less than your 9mm. As far as effectiveness I'd stay away from FMJ and very light varmint loads. Any expanding bullet 55 gr and up should be fine.

The heavier bullets would be my choice for deer hunting or target shooting at longish ranges. They'd work at HD ranges, but everything I've seen says lighter expanding bullets impacting faster works better, and they are less likely to penetrate building material.

That said, I still think you're better off with your 9mm as the primary gun indoors. There are so many times where a free hand is important and at those ranges there is always the possibility of an intruder being able to get their hands on a long gun and either take it away or move the muzzle so they can't be hit.

I have handguns, an AR and a shotgun available depending on the situation. The handgun is the 1st thing I reach for when something doesn't sound right. If there were ever a situation where the need for a long gun were called for, and assuming I had time to position myself strategically the long guns are available.

DMK

77gr OTM Magtech CBC (mk262 load), 75gr Speer Gold Dot, (62gr GD might actually fragment better though), 55gr Federal XM193 for 16"+

Avoid M855.

BillW

Pick the 55 grain soft point/spire point that produces the best accuracy in your rifle. As has been posted, don't use FMJ bullets as they penetrate too much. But make sure what you pick works in your firearm and produces good accuracy.