home defense .45 poll

What is the best .45 for home defense purposes?

• CZ-97b

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Ruger P97

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Glock 30

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Glock 21

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • H&K USP

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • Sig 220

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • 1911 - Springfield

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • 1911 - Kimber

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

meat

Thanks for all of the responses to my earlier post. Due to all the great responses, I decided to hold a poll regarding the guns recommended. So, if you were to recommend a .45 semi-auto for home defense, which one would it be?

J. Parker

Out of all my guns the P-220 is the one. Total confidence in this piece. Ammo is 185gr standard velocity Golden Sabres. Best Regards, J. Parker

Bandit

I voted for the Springfield 1911 mainly because I own one. :D I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices you listed. Try to rent the ones you're interested in the most and find the one that fits your hand the best and is comfortable to you.

Whichever one you choose, be sure to get some training in safe gun handling (If you haven't already) and practice with it at much as possible.

Edward429451

I had to vote for Springfield cause there was no Colt slot. I own a Colt MK IV Series 80 and a Glock 21 and while I have no complaints with the Glock, I have many more miles with the Colt so am more "one" with it than the Glock.

Since you're talking HD, if you go with a 1911 type, dont go the tight racegun route. Defense is about reliability. accuracy is pretty moot inside a house since the distances are so close. Milspec is the way to go for defense.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All,

Being very fond of the Sig-Sauer P220's reliability ,
I gave it my utmost confifidence by making it my #1 carry
gun; as well as my personal choice for home defense.:cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Gusgus

Meat,
You really couldn't go wrong with any of them.
Keep in mind that out of the box 1911s may sometimes be picky about what ammo they will feed. If you choose a 1911, make sure you shoot a lot of your home defense ammo through it, before placing it in that role.

The Ruger is great for those on a budget. It's about half the price of the other pistols on your list, yet built like a tank. It is also stainless steel, so there is nothing to rust. Mine has fed every type of ammo I've ever tried in it.

If I'm not mistaken, the CZ-97 would be the second least expensive pistol on your list. It is a good, accurate, reliable pistol, and holds 10 rounds (3 more than the 1911s, and 2 more than the Ruger, SIG or USP Compact).

If you decide on a Glock, keep in mind that both the 30 & 21 will come with 10 round mags. 13 round prebans for the 21, will cost a small fortune. Unless you desire the longer barrel length, or have the money to spend on the prebans, I'd get the 30.

Of course you can't go wrong with the USP or SIG, but they will be the priciest of the group. The SIG 220 and USP Compact will give you 8 rounds. The full size USP is a large 12 round pistol, gilded down to 10 rounds (much like the Glock 21).

The only way to really decide, is to shoot as many as you can. Only then will you be able to decide which pistol is best for YOUR needs.

P

PreserveFreedom

Whichever is out of the safe that evening. I didn't see FireStorm on the list. :confused:

J. Parker

Damn, PreserveFreedom, your dedication to the Firestorm line of pistols is starting to peak my interest. Are they that good? Talk to me Goose..........

Rob96

The Ruger P97 does everything the others due. Maybe even more reliably than some of the others mentioned. Also does it a lot more economically, so you can purchase more ammo for practice, practice, practice.

denfoote

The only .45 I own is the G30. I have yet to see a 1911 that you didn't have to tinker with to get it to work right. My G30 went to work right out of the box!!!! I haven't had so much as a bobble, or a burp yet, and it didn't cost me $1000+ to get it that way!!!:p

Captain Bligh

Denfoote, next time you're in Indiana stop by the house and I'll let you see and touch my Kimber Compact. Reliable out of the box with no tinkering! Then you can say you've seen one!

RJ

loknload

Which One ?

Had to vote for the Springfield because I own one and like it ;) Good gun for the money ;) I don't use it for home protection though.

bronco61

Denfoote, I'll post a pic of my Kimber Custom Classic and my wife's Kimber Compact and you can say you've seen two 1911's that worked flawlessly out of the box.

If having to yard on the trigger to make it go bang is "working flawlessly", then you could say that my G30 worked flawlessly when I bought it.

wingnutx

I voted for the SIG P200 simply because I happen to own one.

I have debated switching to a Kimber 1911 so I can use the Wilson Combat carbine kit, but otherwise there is nothing more I could want out of a pistol than the SIG has.

Key2America

Firestorms

I also like those Firestorms. Haven't got one yet, but the 380 feels, looks and smells like a Sig 380. Could this be the manufacturer's intention?. The money is sure right. Rumor says it made by Bersea and the website tends to agree since there are links for both there, but the Firestorm seems a bit more refined than Bersea...Go figure. One day I'll have to find a range that has them for rent.