Home At Last - Stolen Gun Recovered

BillCA

Back in 2004 my house was burglarized and the SOB's got away with about 12 handguns. It was pretty traumatic and a serious financial loss at the time. The guns were stored in a steel "gun cabinet" like those sold by Homak and Stack-on for under $200. If you have one, use it to store paint in the garage and buy a real safe.

Last April I was contacted by the El Cerrito, CA. police department. They had recovered one of my stolen guns on a traffic stop. I can tell you I was elated. Not only did they recover it, but no one was hurt by it either. Then began the long wait for its release. Finally, in February, I got the word. It took 30 more days to do the required paperwork and make an appointment to pick up the gun.

The revolver, an S&W Model 15, was purchased as a police trade-in but in excellent shape at the time. It had only minor wear and was an excellent buy.

I feared the gun would look like a rusty boat anchor but it was in surprisingly good shape, considering it'd been AWOL for 3 years. Here's what it looked like after cleaning off the fingerprint powder and doing general maintenance.

M15M_1396.jpg

Some minor scratches and the grips were gouged and chipped. Bore and chambers still in excellent shape.

M15M_1406.jpg

All things considered, I've see used police revolvers in much worse condition. Other than some wear and a few small scratches, it's still in good shape.

I replaced the grips with a set I hand on hand and returned it to a presentable condition.

M15MFamily_1422.jpg

Here's the "family reunion" of K-Frame 38's
L-R: Model 67, Model 15-4 2-inch, Model 15-3 back home.

hoytinak

That's good to hear...glad it made it home safe. ;) I've still got a Winchester Model 70 .243 and a HK USPc .40 that was stolen out of my truck back in '00 floating around somewhere.

CelticMP

woot

ahhh Family Reunions...... I think i am going to cry..................

Congratz on a safe recovery of your property.:D

Sevens

What about the 11 others that went missing, were any of those ever recovered? What else can you share about the original theft? Were you at work or on vacation when it happened, did the investigation lead the police to believe it was a random break-in where guns were found or if it was a targeted residence because of the guns? Did the police try to find out how the revolver ended up in the hands of the perp who had it, and did they share that info with you? (I would guess not)

I would agree that those security cabinets are better than a nightstand drawer for keeping children and snoops away, but they aren't real security against theft. If anything, they are attractive for attack because they'd lead someone to believe there's something valuable inside. How did they defeat the cabinet-- drill, saw, hammer? Attack the hinges or lock?

Sorry for all the questions. I just have this idea that information is power and I'd like to learn from these experiences if I can.

bds32

Glad to hear you got one of them back. I agree about the safe. Everyone should invest in one. Mine's bolted to the slab.

I hate burglars and thieves:mad:. The items stolen are generally meaningless to them except for a few bucks to buy more dope. Thwart them as much as possible.

bmw2

I have a friend in a similar situation, the only one of his to surface is involved in a court case and it will be a while before he will see it again. Good to know you got one of yours back. Out of curiosity, was your "safe" broken into or did they just take the whole thing?

BillCA

Hoytinak - I feel for ya, bro. I really do. I've been worried for 4 years that one of my guns would be used against some poor innocent civilian or police officer.

Chris - I don't know that I want to know that my gun has "seen". I'm not much of a fan for the unsavory lifestyle some criminal types lead. It was not used in a hold-up (that the PD could determine). If it was used as a "crime gun", the state would destroy it. Of course, if they stole your car and a gun, then used both in a crime, you could get your car back, but not the gun. Stupid PRK laws.

BMW2 - The gun cabinet was lag bolted to the wall. The thief used a screwdriver to pry the door until one of the metal tabs securing the door broke. Then he managed to defeat the lower tab by blows with the screwdriver. (It sheared off the bolt at the locking nut). Relegate any HOMAK or STACK-ON gun cabinet to holding ammo and accessories. Keep guns in a safe.

BillCA

I bought a standard well-known brand 17-cu ft gun safe when Costco offered them with home delivery for a very good price. Size, space considerations and price played a part in the selection. My word of advice is that if you think you'll do okay with a 17 cu-ft safe, but the 23-cu ft. If you think the 23 cube safe will probably hold all your guns, step up to the 27... and so on. It's amazing how fast that space fills up!

RsqVet

AS a former firefighter who has helped any number of friends open storege continers like Bill had, or frankly the home depot type "safes" there is not one once of security in these things..... I think the longest one took us about 20 min or so....

Frankly other than fire I think folks are better off hiding things then using these POS products.... if hidden they may never be found, in these things they are all gathered up for the theif. Of course hiding does not help if you have kids around....

Master Blaster

Then he managed to defeat the lower tab by blows with the screwdriver. (It sheared off the bolt at the locking nut). Relegate any HOMAK or STACK-ON gun cabinet to holding ammo and accessories. Keep guns in a safe.

No Alarm system huh, if you had a loud nasty alarm they wouldn't have had time to even look for the safe.

Any burglar can break into a $3,000-$5000 "REAL GUN SAFE" in about 10 minutes with a $50 harbor freight angle grinder and $5 steel abrasive cut off wheel. Hint they cut off the 8 gauge steel side of the safe, not the 1" hardplate door. Another strategy is to bring a refrigerator dolly and a car jack, the jack rips out the lag screws.

The key is a good alarm shreiking the whole time, and hiding the safe so it takes them at least 10 minutes to even find it.

tekarra

Glad to hear one of them made it home. I hope the rest show up. A good lesson for others on proper storage.

BillCA

MB,

I'd suggest that no matter what kind of safe you have that is reasonably affordable and will accomodate longgun and handguns, the safe can be defeated within 90 minutes or less.

The point is to deny them the easy opportunity to grab stuff and go. To gain access to mine, you have to now gain access to the house which has been made much more difficult. Then you have go through another locked door to find the safe. It's in a constricted space with little room to maneuver a jack or dolly.

Once I'm back to work, I'm going to look into the final layer of security besides a wireless alarm system.

One of these :D
doberman2.jpg

RsqVet

Look if we are talking pro thiefs all bets are off no matter what you have.... even if you have a 'home vault" and super whatever alarm system

However pros are very rare, people who come prepared with stuff to steal your whole safe are very rare, and folks who will come with the tools to breach any serious safe are rare.

Get a good quality safe, do not let anyone know you have it, where it is or what is in it. Maintain a low profile even if you are a collector or expert, consider ancillary security systems, and lastly enjoy your toys as that's why we have them.

Teuthis

Congratulations!

Those are great looking guns. I am most happy for you that you got the stolen one back. I have always loved K-frames too. I have a model 65-2 with a 3 inch barrel. I cannot imagine every trading it away.