Holsters - retention screws?

aikidoka - mks

I've been looking at various holster makers mentioned here on the forums. Im wondering how important are retention screws because some have them and some don't and even this is including highly regarded holster makers. Would I be making a mistake to get a holster from one of the better names if it did not have retention screws?

Thanks,

Mark

9mmepiphany

retention screws are nice because they let you adjust the tension retaining your gun as well as the fit to your gun (allowing for slide/frame variations), however...unless you're using it for competition...once it is adjusted, you usually don't play with it much again.

my leather holsters, milt sparks and alessi, do not have adjustment screws and seem to retain/fit the gun they were designed for just fine.

my plastic holsters seem to retain just as well wheather they have screws (blade-tec, UM) or not (fobus).

when looking at a quality holster, i would let my choice be determined more by function and comfort then by the ability to adjust.

notos&w

Would I be making a mistake to get a holster from one of the better names if it did not have retention screws?

no

nemesis

Retention screws are good. They allow the holster manufacturer to charge you more money for a holster that didn't need them anyway. If the holster is fitted that poorly, buy a quality holster elsewhere.