Holster wear. Any suggestions?

Moby

I carry a Glock 30 in a Desantis IWB holster. I'm getting holster wear. Anyone know of a coating that will resist wear. My firearm looks like crap.

Dragline45

As much as you touch up the holster wear it will just keep happening. If you want your Glock to stay looking new, buy another and don't holster it. Holster wear is just one of those things you need to accept, there's no way around it. What I will add though is from your picture that looks to me like some sort of solvent was left on it, or even sweat.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Holster wear is what you get from holstering a gun and not holstering the gun is how you avoid it. I've never seen any finish that was completely immune to holster wear.

That said, what I see in your picture doesn't really look like holster wear. It looks like the leather has soaked up the tiny bit of solvent/oil that stays in the parkerizing and left it dry.

Holster wear on a Glock typically shows up as spots where the polymer has been worn smooth and where parkerizing on the metal corners/edges has worn thin and the tenifer (gunmetal grey color) is showing through.

ClydeFrog

Metalife SS C, Bearcoat.com , Black-T, Robar NP3+...

If you want to treat the metal parts & a few carry pistol magazines, check out these popular firms;
Metalife SS C(that's about $78.00 USD with mags; $10.00ea), Bearcoat; www.bearcoat.com , Robar NP3+; www.robarguns.com , Black-T; www.black-t.com , CeraKote; www.APWCogan.com .
Some pistolsmiths market DLC(diamond like coating), using different titles. It's a flat black color that helps protect the metal & avoid nicks, scuffs, etc.
Id avoid Robar's black Rogard. It's easy to mar & scuff the treatment, :( .
NP3 isn't cheap but it's easy to clean & prevents rust. Black-T got a few military & LE contracts for its performance.
Id suggest sending 2/3 extra pistol mags too. If you carry them, they may get exposed to the elements more than the magazine in your sidearm.

highpower3006

As much as you touch up the holster wear it will just keep happening. If you want your Glock to stay looking new, buy another and don't holster it. Holster wear is just one of those things you need to accept, there's no way around it. What I will add though is from your picture that looks to me like some sort of solvent was left on it, or even sweat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Bluestarlizzard

Personally, I like the athsetic of holster wear on a handgun. It adds character.

Also, if what your fussing about is an all over white powdery looking coating, that's part of the finish. Do not try to take it off.

Kreyzhorse

Wear happens if you holster and unholster your firearm. Keep it lightly oiled and don't sweat it.

Leather will generally cause less wear than plastic holsters but will still cause wear.

buck460XVR

It's a carry gun. No one else is suppose to see it until they are lookin' at the business end of the barrel. Doubt if it's the holster wear they'll be worried about.

wpsdlrg

Holster wear is a fact of life - get used to it (just as many others said before me). If you are using a properly fitted holster, then there will be friction/ tension against the firearm - and that is needed for retention. Thus, holster wear occurs. If the gun fit in the holster is too loose, you may get reduced holster wear, but - you get no retention, which is not good.

Every aspect of life requires compromise, this is just one of those aspects.

gpjoe

Any suggestions?

Yep - don't worry about it.

I try to keep all of my stuff like-new but realized that holster wear is unavoidable on my carry guns. I have accepted the fact that if I use/carry a gun it is going to show signs of wear.

Dragline45

If the gun fit in the holster is too loose, you may get reduced holster wear, but - you get no retention, which is not good.

Actually you will get more holster wear. If the holster is too loose the gun moves around more thus creating more friction. When the holster is a tight fit the only time the gun creates friction is when drawing and re-holstering.

Salmoneye

I 'know someone' that has a bone stock Gen2 G19 (black internals and all) that has been in and out of an Uncle Mike's holster a couple thousand times since 1990, and it does not look like that...

There are a few 'light spots' on the contact points, but the slide does not look anything like the pic in the OP...

ClydeFrog

Wear, minor flaws....

When I purchased a NIB surplus 96D .40S&W pistol in 1997, I used a Aker black leather shoulder rig & wore it concealed often.
Over time, I never had any wear marks or spots/scuffs on the firearm.
The Beretta 96D .40S&W was treated with Robar's NP3 & was intended for a Fish & Game law enforcement agency.
The 96D did have a few small streaks where the slide & barrel made contact.
This is common with nearly any semi-auto pistol.
As posted, the Metalife SS C(a treatment suggested by "Chuck Taylor", a well known gun writer & instructor) & Robar NP3+(the new format of NP3) can hold up to EDC(regular carry).
I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster with my new S&W MP45 Compact .45acp.
If the Melonite starts to wear off or streak a lot, I may get Metalife SS C.
The process is only $78.00 with $10.00ea for extra magazines. :D

Clyde

Glenn Dee

That photo kind of looks like the holster is wearing off on the gun. My service pistol is a Glock 19. It's like 20 years old... Drawn from holster multiple times a day... Looks just fine. Glock dont use the tennifer coating anymore?

DLeeHarley

It's a Glock. It can't get any uglier than it already is. Just kidding.

Dennis in Idaho
"Those who do, Don't talk. Those who Talk, Don't Do!"

ThinkFastKydex

plenty of folks have said the same thing and its nothing short of the truth: Holster wear is inevitable. Theres no amount of finess or care to take to avoid it. If you carry a firearm daily, expect wear. The fellow on the recieving end should the case ever arise wont pay attention to the wear on your slide. My analogy to my customer is this. You can go out and buy a $300 dollar set of craftsmen wrenches and they will be nice and shiny. You use them for their intended application for a while and they will start to look beat up. If wear is your biggest concern, dont look for a different holster, look for a safe.