Holster Kit

Toney

For thirty bucks at Tandys the last time I looked you could get a single shoulder . Enough to make several holsters.

Pahoo

Price is right but more costs involved.

Ben,
Unless you already have all the tools and supplies, to complete this kit, you could easily add another $15.00 to this project. Of course you cannot or should not measure your time and satisfaction on completing this project. In itself I do not think the price is out of line. You are getting the right weight leather and there is many ways to embellish this project. Aside from all that I work on, I am a leather crafter and appreciate what it takes to do projects like this. ...... ;)

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Model12Win

I never subsceibed to the whole "put 50 hours into it to make it yourself for 10% off MSRP".

No thanks. I'll let someone else do it for just a little more money, somebody who knows what they're doing. My time is worth more than that.

Toney

Hey all you really need is a scissors, pocket knife. harnessed needles, and thread oh and the nail.

A drill motor is handy for the nail, but I have punched my stitch holes with a hammer.

A divider would be nice, I use my dial caliber to get the stitches and the stitch line straight.

jspappap

Like Pahoo says.

If you want fast food go to Mcdonalds. If you want good food cook it yourself. Nothing beats the pleasure, enjoyment and relaxation you get out of making things yourself. I'm just learning at 70+ years of age but love every peaceful minute. I have made a lot of mistakes so far but learned from every one of them and keep on plugging away. The only one I have to please is myself. I hope I live to be 100 so I can try all the crafts associated with Black Powder and Leather work.

T. O'Heir

Not from the evil that is E-Bay and certainly not with $20 shipping.
A hole punch can be made out of a 2" common nail. Files easily into a 1/8" hole punch. Holes go 1/8" apart and about 1/4" in from the edges. Use an old phone book underneath.
Glovers needles and waxed linen thread from a discount fabric shop are cheap.
Black dye can be made out of plain white vinegar, black walnut bark(helps a bunch if there's such a tree near you) and steel wool(Do not wet form blued steel without Saran wrap. Vinegar eats bluing to bare metal.) Put it all in a coffee can and leave it for a few days. Oh and really, really strong coffee makes a light brown dye.
Use tin snips to cut the leather out of a pattern you make. Trauma shears(those scissors used by EMT) work too. Seen 'em in Dollar stores etc. for cheap and those cheapies work as well as anything else.
And a can of regular shoe polish to finish the whole thing. Getting expensive though, but shoe polish has waxes in it that waterproof and shine up the leather.
And a bottle of rubber cement to hold the pieces together long enough to punch the holes. Contact cement works too, but isn't as forgiving if you misplace the piece.
"...for just a little more money..." A little more it ain't. Costs me about $5Cdn., my time included, to make a holster.

Last edited:

Pahoo

Drilling is easier but not always the best.

I use my drill press but I still use a nail, I think the nail makes cleaner holes
Fellas, see if this logic makes sense. Yes, you can drill the holes and there are times when I do so. On this weight of leather, it's best to punch and a nail works almost as good as the proper tool. When you punch a hole, it does not remove any material and after stitching you have a tighter grasp on the stitching and the leather will kind of move back in. Now, on stitching thicker or heavier leather, say in the 1/4"+ range, drilling is a better way to go and fit will be fine. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!