Holster help

cheddar

I need to find a holster. It would be used for walking around the woods. Concealment is not a concern. Let me know where I can find one and what not to get!

THANKS

ranburr

What gun do you want it for? I prefer something alonf the lines of an Askin's Avenger and everyone makes one.

ranburr

GMG1

holster

I live in Hawaii, on an outer island, very limited options here...and I work in the law enforcement community here . I buy most of what I need from www.galls.com.

USNairman

Just type in Taurus 24/7 holster into Google and you will come up wuith a bunch of options. You can also look on ebay or midwayusa for them to.

cheddar

but my question is: What is good for that kind of carry? I dont have the slightest idea where to begin? Thanks

ranburr

Cheddar can't you read?:p All joking aside, you can't beat an Askin's Avenger style holster and every holster maker makes a version of this thing. Look at GALCO, Bianchi, El Paso Saddlery, etc. Price should be in the $65-$100. You also need a double lined belt designed for carry.

ranburr

cheddar

As stated above...for the 24/7 in my sig.

I am worried the gun would fall out of a holster mainly because Ive never carried a gun in a holster. What are the paddle holsters so good for? Are they better than a regular nylon? Im sure leather is out because Ive heard it will wear off the finish. Is this correct?

cheddar

ranburr: read what? I was looking to spend between $10 - $30 on a holster. Nothing too special, just dont want to carry it in my back pocket! I went and looked at a nylon holster here today and the shop owner said $15. Is there anything I should not get for any reason? Does it have to have a strap over the top?

Thanks!

ranburr

By read I mean in the first response I suggested a very good holster to you. If you are looking to spend $10-$15 on a holster you are essentially looking at crap. I am convinced that nylon holsters were invented by someone who hates guns. Guns tend to fall out of these holsters on a continuous basis. You need something that is rigid and will hold its' shape. This means leather or one of the wonder plastics. A good holster does not need a safety strap. You need to start thinking of spending at least $50 on one of the plastic rigs. Also as I stated above, you need a belt or you will find out real fast that your standard dress belt was not made for carrying a gun. You don't have to spend a lot, but expect to spend at least $100 on the combination of the two. You can go cheaper and you can watch your pistol fall out at the most inappropriate times. Truth be told, you are better off with pocket or waistband carry than you are with a cheap holster.

abercrombie6704

cheddar, a paddle holster is made out of a tough plastic and it is molded to fit your particular make and model....they are between 15 and 30 bucks! the holster has a molded peice you put on your side inside the pants and the actual holster stays outside the pant...they are awsome...check em out on ebay....i just got mine for 23 bucks including shipping......i suggest that u check em out:cool: no straps or other crap....just type in fobus paddle holsters on ebay and u should find what u are looking for!

wcandres

A while back I switched to cross-draw, and I'll never go back. Now I can carry my long gun with butt resting on my hip (without banging into my sidearm). Also, you can sit down, without drilling your barrel into the ground.

Arnie4176

http://www.protechoutdoors.com/holsters.htm

the first holster I bought was one of these, the "intimidator" semi-auto model. I got it on ebay for dirt cheap brand new. It has an adjustable thumb break, mag pouch, soft interior and the gun has NEVER fallen out of the holster. If you want something cheap, check them out. And watch ebay like a hawk for a great deal.

cheddar

So how does the fobus holster stay still? How do you draw the gun(pull it strait out like a nylon?)

Ranburr: Sorry, I cant afford to spend that much when the holster will be used occasionaly. I will certainly spend the money when concealed carry is in the picture! I do appreciate your input!