Holster Help For My Brother

Single Six

My older brother has only recently been bitten by the gun bug. At my recommendation, he has bought a Fist brand IWB holster for his new S&W M&P .45 Compact. However, due to some health issues he has, the rig is causing him a great deal of pain [yes, I know, it's supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, but this is a bit different]. After over a week of trying to tough it out, he couldn't take it anymore and now has no way to CCW his Smith. I suggested he try wearing an OWB holster along with a photographer's vest, or even a fanny pack, but for various reasons, none of these are viable either. Frankly, I'm out of ideas, and any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks as always, all.

Single Six

Mleake: Thanks, I thought about that too....in Winter, when he wears a jacket, that will work. In N.C., in the hot part of the year...not so much.

MLeake

I have carried IWB in NC in the summer, with a structured short sleeved shirt over a t-shirt. It would be possible with a shoulder rig. Depending on the health issues involved, maybe back to OWB but with suspenders to help support the belt?

Otherwise, sorry, out of ideas.

Kreyzhorse

Not a holster suggestion, but if he has trouble with IWB and OWB might be questionable too, he needs to look at a smaller gun.

The smaller the gun, generally the lighter it is and the easier it is to carry and conceal. He can also roll with a pocket gun if belt holster carry won't work.

pendennis

Year round I wear one of two vests. During the winter, I wear a black water-resistant vest with lots of pockets. It's fairly warm, and conceals my carry weapon nicely. During warmer months, I wear a Cabelas safari vest. Even during the warmest weather, it's comfortable, since it has a mesh back. And neither one of them prints.

My holsters are all Done Hume J.I.T. slides.

Urge him to reconsider the vest. And see if moving the holster a bit more toward the back helps.

ClydeFrog

Blue Stone OD green vest, 5.11 shirts...

Depending on your brother's health issues/medical status, I'd look into a concealment vest or shirt type carry rig. Many clothing styles or formats should conceal a M&P compact pistol.
The OD green Blue Stone vest could work. 5.11 Tactical has a line of dress/outdoor type shirts that have pockets/holsters. See www.5.11tactical.com . Lenny Magill sells a few undershirt & training gear type holsters, see; www.Gunvideo.com or www.Glockstore.com .
A full leather or man made shoulder harness may do well but if he can't bend or turn quickly, a simple crossdraw type garment may work better.

Clyde