Holster for 1911A1 that works for CCW

Richard

I have four 1911A1 pistols that are set for carry. Heres the rub. If I try to carry strong side or behind the kidney the end of the barrel/holster shows. I am tall, wear my belt around my waist, and the bottom of the barrel/holster still shows below my sweater, jacket, or polo type shirt. I tried calling a couple of holster makers yesterday and they wouldn't offer any advice. I thought an inside the waistband might work. What say you, what brand, and what model? Thanks in advance and regards, Richard

critter44

I use a Milt Sparks Summer Special for IWB for the full size 1911. Works great for me. There are several other makers that make similar ones. Good luck in the search.

IRock

Milt Sparks VM2. One of the thinnest IWB around. The loops are off to the side for a thinnner profile. It's a excellent holster and have never heard anyone complain about a Sparks. Milt Sparks

Jim V

Sparks' Watch 6 IWB holster is a good place to start. No re-enforcment at the mouth of the holster makes it a tad thinner that others. my favorite IWB holster is an Alessi CQC/I. Both would serve you well.

Kevinch

My current carry is a 3" Kimber, & I use a Sparks VM II which is an IWB holster.

I used to carry a heavy S&W 4516-1 in a Broomeland holster that was a take off of the Summer Special. Due in part to both the Sparks unit & the gun, IWB carry is much more comfortable now.

I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Mike11b

Sparks is the all time favorite. If on a budget, try Wild Bill's Concealment, or Fist-inc. Both make decent 1911 holsters. I carry a full size Kimber all day in a DeSantis IWB.

AUTiger73

I use a Bianchi Pistol Pocket IWB type holster when I carry my Colt Combat Commander Series 70. It has the "speed break type thumb strap" that many feel is unnecessary. However, as irrational as it may be, the thumb strap under the hammer in cocked and locked mode of carry was always a comforting safety measure for me. (If you ask Bianchi employees about the ability of this holster to carry cocked & locked they will tell you it is not designed for it ... but don't believe them because the thumb strap works perfectly under the hammer. It is obvious that Bianchi is wary of liability problems by not recommending their product for cocked & locked carry.)

The Bianchi Pistol Pocket being of all leather construction also affords one the ability to adjust the angle of the holster via larger tension screw. The holster is versatile and top quality.

My experience with Kramer's IWB (cowhide leather) with my SIG P239 has also been good. If you don't like the thumb snap on the Bianchi Pistol Pocket, then the Kramer IWB would be the way to go. Kramer also produces their IWB in horsehide but frankly I don't see the need for it.

Best of luck with your choice.

mec

The VMII is as describe above. I generally leave the pants clips on even when carrying untucked.

attachment.php

KSFreeman

Milt Sparks Executive Companion. Mine are black so they are tactical.

I like the thick mouth. Helps in one hand mals and reloads. Just my $.02.

dairycreek

I can recomment two from personal experience.

The first is the Galco Royal Guardian (one poster mentioned it earlier). Fine IWB carry for my 1911. The other is a FIST #1 with a 1.5' metal clip - easy to take on and off and really stable when worn on a good belt. High quality leather, workmanship, reasonable low price. I really like mine for IWB carry for my Kimber Pro Carry. Personally, I think that IWB is the only way to go for concealed carry. FYI http://www.fist-inc.com/. Good shooting:)

Blazer72

Milt Sparks would probably be my first choice. Don Hume would be a great choice if your on a budget. Kramer also makes an excellent holster.

Country Boy

I wear a Milt Sparks VersaMax II, and I'm 5-11, 170#. I highly recommend it. If you do a search here, you'll probably find a great deal of info. They have a couple month wait time, and quality costs $, but it's definitely worth it.

Torpedo

Might also check out Tucker Gunleather at www.tuckergunleather.com He has a nice IWB holster that might work for you. Also he is a custom holster maker. You can e-mail him and tell him your problem and I'm sure he'll help you find a solution. Good luck!

Richard

Milt Sparks Summer Special

I ordered a Milt Sparks Summer Special. They were the most attentive to my questions and it was recommended by many. If it doesn't work I will be back with the same question. Regards, Richard

Mikey

I also carry IWB about 90% of the time and recommend the same holsters as all the above.

If, however, you want a belt holster that rides high then look at the Milt Sparks 60TK (used to be the Roadrunner).

fdfba667.jpg

The entire trigger guard is above belt level. You must use a good belt of proper width with this holster as it is somewhat topheavy.

Mike