HollyWood is full of idiots

Status
Not open for further replies.

from the Hip

HollyWood is full of idiots
I was watching a movie last night with Richard Greere as a double agent. After the big pistol fight a CSI dude was measuring the distance between spent blanks... That's right crimped blanks. The bad guys must have loaded blanks by mistake and that is why the hero lived after being shot at 50 times.

Yep, it happens in re-enactments as well. There seems to be some risks, more risks involved when using live ammo than when using blanks, so they use blanks more. Why those "idiots" in Hollywood don't use real ammo really is a surprise, no?

Mueller

I was watching a documentary, I believe, late one night on the satellite and they were talking about special effects and the steps taken to reduce potential fatalities/injuries on productions and one of them was the widespread adoptions of both Gas Guns and purpose built blank firing weapons and the basic elimination of real ammunition or even spent cartridges of real ammunition, using instead custom built empties, much like snap caps.

Pretty hard for a real round to make it on the set, if everything is clearly a blank or is an erzatz molded cartridge with a rubber primer.

Can you imagine the insurance costs if one were to be using live ammunition on a set, that and building sufficient safeguards into the set to capture an errant round that could go on to kill someone on or off the set or destroy an expensive piece of equipment.

I try an keep from being a critic when watching a movie or television show, significant other appreciates it and it keeps me off the couch ;).

mj246

The way I'm imagining the scene from how the OP describes it, sounds like the scene with the casings was shot at a different time than the actual gunfight scene. This being the case (no pun intended), I think it would be incredibly reasonable for the movie makers to go buy a bunch of used cases from somewhere, which can definitely be done, for scenes involving the use of strategically placed empties for examination by CSI or whoever. While blanks are definitely safer than normal rounds with bullets, I'm not aware of any instances where somebody was killed by spent brass.

BlueTrain

I do not now remember where I saw these photos but at one time, some live ammo was actually used on movie sets, though not in the hands, or rather, not in the guns of the actors. In a few photos, probably taken in the 1950s or 1950s, a rifleman was actually firing at fairly close range to create, I suppose, the actual effects of bullets hitting the dirt and various objects. It was a close-up shot with the camera down low. The camera and crew were behind a kind of plastic shield of sorts but I don't remember now anything about the actors. It was a western being filmed, in any case, and I suspect I ran across it in some website about movie ranches in the Santa Susana area or beyond. The ones in the Santa Susana area are all gone now, replaced by developments (and the Ronald Reagan Highway) but the others are still going.

briandg

read the story about brandon lee on the set of the crow. There are a whole lot of contradictory ideas there. The primary problem I have is wondering what sort of imbecile in a film aims even a blank straight at an actor's heart and pulls the trigger.

B.N.Real

The price of gas and bullets is going up.

My back hurts more then it did yesterday.

And a good day is when my cup of coffee does'nt taste like crankcase oil.

Your thread title and all these are true.:D

edit- So true Cascade so true.

Last edited:

armoredman

I dimly remember a story about an actor in the 1930s who stated he was not going to stand in the area the director told him to stand, because the live ammo in the Tommy guns being fired to miss him were going to bounce right through him. The director disagreed, and filmed the shot without the actor...and multiple ricochets rained through the actor's empty position. If I remember correctly, this was the start of the "let's use blanks" era.

from the Hip

They could have used some range brass as a prop, for Pete's sake. I mean why didn't they just hold up their fingers and say bang bang , winking at the camera. Futher more I don't care if it is Gere Geere, or Gear, He was less believable than the spent blanks.

Dwight55

Dude, gotta get yourself a better coffee pot asap or sooner. Lifes too short to drink bad coffee...

Nahhhh, . . . ain't no such animal as "bad" coffee. Some's better than others, . . . but just like chicken, . . . ain't found one yet I couldn't like some way.

But back to the OP, . . . what would you expect from the city that wholeheartedly supports Obummer????

May God bless,
Dwight

kilimanjaro

When I was a kid I wanted the Hollywood job of the expert marksman, the guy who fired the gun, precisely aimed, to create the spurt of dust, splash of water, or knocked the dude's hat off for the camera.....I was devasted to learn at an early age there was no such job.

BlueTrain

Oh, but there was, though it may have been before you were born. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I didn't used to believe such a thing until I saw a photo of such a scene being filmed. As it is, there are still plenty of dangerous things on movie sets sometimes and the actors (the stunt men and women) sometimes get injured but rarely from firearms.

In an old TV show featuring reruns of B-movie westerns, the host, a former actor himself, would talk about some of the stuff in the movie about to be shown, along with other western movie trivia. He pointed out that one of the actors joked during a gunfight scene that they were only shooting blanks, you know. It was caught on film and stayed in the movie.

And you know, they were using real Colts!

Dino.

Southland

I was recently watching an episode of Southland ...
When a female officer drew her Glock, I thought "man, that barrel looks huge!".
When I re-wound the DVR to take a closer look, I noticed the barrel had been removed from the gun and I was looking at the big hole at the end of the slide. :D

I am not sure why we get so upset with Hollywood about not having 100% authentic renderings or examples of firearms stuff in their productions. Nobody seems to care when Hollywood shows a Willys Jeep in a post 1960s WWII movie and the tires on the jeep are not period correct tires.

A buddy of mine noted that in one of the westerns that a pocket watch shown being opened and the time checked was actually a vintage pocket watch, but was still half a century newer than when the action was talking place.

Both of the examples are anachronisms, just another type of inaccuracy.

More often than not, these inaccuracies have no actual impact on the storyline. When they do, I can see it being a problem, but otherwise, what does it really matter?

Single Six

Hollywood seldom, if ever, gets it right when it comes to guns. How else to explain Bruce Willis claiming that a "Glock 7 is a porcelain-framed gun that won't set off airport metal detectors"[:rolleyes:]? Or bad guys being launched across the room from the impact of a .45? Be surprised when they actually get something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.